Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Self bailer vent hole

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mhaefele

Self bailer vent hole

Post by mhaefele » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Am installing the original self bailer on a '38 CC deluxe runabout. It has a shut off valve installed which I intend to keep closed for safety. ( I will also have a new bilge pump installed.) I just want it to look original, even though the bailer will not be operational normally. Question is, if I ever need to actually use it , it doesn't seem to have the tiny vent hole in the top to prevent siphoning. Wasn't that required for proper operation? Should I add a vent hole? What size would it have been?
'38 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout 17'
'58 Century Raven 22'
'35 Old Town Canoe 16'
'65 Chestnut Canoe 16'

Captain Nemo

Re: Self bailer vent hole

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 pm

I would drill the hole in it in case you forget to shut off the valve. It will operate without the siphon break, but for safety you should drill it out. It is a small hole, 1/16 maybe?
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

mhaefele

Post by mhaefele » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Thanks Captain.
'58 Century Raven 22'
'35 Old Town Canoe 16'
'65 Chestnut Canoe 16'

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

self bailers can be dangerous. I had mine reinstalled for the look ( I tried to include a photo but the system still isnt working to upload pictures). it was made inoperable. Too many horror stories of boats sinking via the bailer. looked it over this morning but couldnt find the hole. perhaps it was closed off when they reinstalled. It is quite small as i recall.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm

You can tap the inside hole of the bailer with a 1/2 inch pipe tap. Then install a brass pipe plug with JB Weld on the threads. Then put the hose and bailer on. Done this way it will look completely original.

It should have a hole at the very top of the loop. smaller then a 1/16 inch. If the hole is to big it will never create suction.

Also there were some self bailers that Chris Craft used were the loop parts was a casted piece and the brass pipe clamp into it. On these there is a slot were the copper pipe clamps into the casted piece that creates the suction break. So this style does not have a small hole drilled in them.

mhaefele

Post by mhaefele » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks Jim. I think this is the style I have, with no hole and cast clamp.
'58 Century Raven 22'
'35 Old Town Canoe 16'
'65 Chestnut Canoe 16'