Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

SCREWS

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jamsbaugh7

SCREWS

Post by jamsbaugh7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

GENTLEMEN, NEED MORE OPINIONS ON SCREW TYPE USED ON 1941 BARRELBACKS. WERE RUBRAILS STAINLESS SLOTTED.HOW ABOUT ALL DECK HARDWARE WERE THEY CHROME SLOTTED.THANKS JAKE

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Re: SCREWS

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 am

if i recall correctly, cc switched over from slotted screws to the reed&prince brand of frearson screws sometime around 1940-41. your boat may have been built around that time.
perhaps someone like mike green would know for sure. In any event, if you dont have any original deck hardware screws, the safest thing to do is match the screws in the hull; if they are slotted go slotted, if reed & prince, do that. I suspect as frugal as cc was, they used up the existing supply of slotted screws as the boats moved down the line. externally showing screws were all chrome as far as i know.

btw, reed& prince are not made now so you would need to go with frearson if looking for that type of screw. there are minor differences between the two so ideally one doesnt want to mix the two types, for example, in the chrome strips around the hatch where the differences would be more apparent.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:50 pm

They were oval head nickel plated. The actual look would be easiest to achieve by polishing stainless steel. As mentioned above, switch over to R&P just before the war. I believe was in 1941 calendar year sometime. If true some 41 and then 42s had them. Also mentioned above...ILO original hardware fasteners , those holding the hull together would provide clue.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm

There is a factory memo that has the exact date the plates change over to R&P screws. I know the year was 40 or 41. I think Don Danneberg has a copy of it from the Mariners Museum.