Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1956 17' Sportsman Steering and Choke rigging

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

[email protected]

1956 17' Sportsman Steering and Choke rigging

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:55 am

Hi All,
The engine, steering and reverse linkage were all removed from the boat when I purchased it. I am in the process of replacing frames which gives me good access to the forward frames where I believe the choke and steering linkages attach. I will be installing a K engine. I believe there was some other engine in the boat at one time, so I don't even know if the brackets and such that are attached to the frames are correct for a K engine. Does anyone have photos of how those linkages are attached. I have the following pictures showing the current configuration.
ChokeMount-0.jpg
ChokeMount-1.jpg
ChokeMount-2.jpg

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: 1956 17' Sportsman Steering and Choke rigging

Post by JimF » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:17 pm

The first picture shows the two bolts that hold the original steering gear box to the stringer. The box would have an arm that connects to the "pipe" below that goes to the rudder. That sliding cable which is not original would connect to the base of the throttle. The throttle lever would have been in the center of the steering wheel connected to a rod down the center of the steering column. That cable would be connected to the base of that rod and go to the carburetor on the other end. Originally that would have been a solid brass rod back to the carb through a few pieces of hardware. The choke cable would just go from the back of the dash down to the port stringer and back to the carb. I have no idea what I am looking at in the other photos.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:22 pm

The attached photo is from my 1953 Rocket which is a similar hull to the 1956 Sportsman.

In the foreground there are two pipes coming from the aft of the boat. The one on the left goes to the chrome shift lever and the one on the right goes to the pitman arm of the Gemmer steering box.

The thinner horizontal bronze rod is for the throttle. You cannot see it in this phot but it goes behind the steering box and attaches to the end of the steering column. Jim F. is correct that the cable in your photo with the black jacket is not original.

The other horizontal cable that starts in the back left of the photo and goes up to the dash is the choke cable. This mounts in the dash at the pull lever end and then attaches to the carburetor.

I never found a use for that crooked bolt next to the pitman arm. Maybe someone know what is for.

Mark
Attachments
Steering Setup.jpg
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 am

Thanks guys. That is the information that I was looking for. The photo is very helpful!
Greg