Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Bleach Supplier

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Riviera Wish

Bleach Supplier

Post by Riviera Wish » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:19 pm

My recent purchase of a Riviera with "all new wood" has extreme variations in wood color and grain. The wood is also badly dried out (weathered) on the deck surfaces so I plan to bleach all the wood which will later be stained. In searching for a wood bleach the 2 part Kleen Strip is recommended by many experts. However, due to an exothermic reaction when mixing the two parts several consumers have complained resulting in a recall of the bleach. As a result many of the past suppliers no longer sell the Kleen Strip bleach; possibly it is no longer manufactured.
After researching the internet, one solution is to purchase the chemicals sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide and apply one right after the other. Not being a 'mad chemist' another approach is being sought. The one part wood bleaches on the market do not seem to be as 'aggressive'. Any suggestions?

boat_art

Re: Bleach Supplier

Post by boat_art » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:56 pm

I rarely bleach. I simply sand further.
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 pm

I get my wood bleach at a lumber yard or home center, it is oxalic acid in crystal form. I mix it in hot water until it doesn't dissolve any more. Apply it from bottom to top being careful you don't let it run across any areas you haven't done yet to avoid streaking.
You can also get oxalic acid at a pharmacy, don't ask me why they might have it :? .
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 am

I second on the oxalic acid. Used it on some fastener bleed-though holes that were discolored on a varnished engine box. It evened out the grain color nicely.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

tabbs creek

Post by tabbs creek » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Daly’s with a part A & B. They ship out of Washington State. I just did my ceiling boards and got nice results.

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 pm

After searching further for a supplier I contacted Burton L. Norton Co. that was used and recommended by Danenberg. The cost of the two gallons of bleach (1 gal part A, and 1 gal part B) was $45; shipping was an additional $45. The phone number of the supplier is (616) 677-1208. Took about a month to get since the bleach is not stocked, it is mixed upon order and I assume receipt of payment. Shipment must be to a business, will not ship to residence. Have used the product to bleach the blonde portion of a Riviera and am satisfied with the results.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Like Capt Nemo and Bilge Rat said 8)

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Riviera Wish wrote:After searching further for a supplier I contacted Burton L. Norton Co. that was used and recommended by Danenberg. The cost of the two gallons of bleach (1 gal part A, and 1 gal part B) was $45; shipping was an additional $45. The phone number of the supplier is (616) 677-1208. Took about a month to get since the bleach is not stocked, it is mixed upon order and I assume receipt of payment. Shipment must be to a business, will not ship to residence. Have used the product to bleach the blonde portion of a Riviera and am satisfied with the results.
I've used their bleach for years. It's worked the best of all the ones I've tried.

Oh. Don't leave the rag you use to put the bleach on sitting in the bucket of bleach.

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:31 am

IMG_2634.JPG
A friend of mine here in Austin just did a magnificent job on a 20' Custom and used this bleach on the blonde wood with perfect results. I an doing a SeaMaid project with avoidire decks and just bought a two gallon kit of the bleach for $70 at a local hardwood floor supplier. No shipping and had it that day!
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Based on my search it appears that here in Kalifornia the citizenry can not be trusted to handle this 'hazardous' material. Or possibly, the environmentalists have deemed it incompatible with nature. Whatever the reason I was not able to find a two part bleach locally in Southern Kalifornia.
Has anyone used both the two part bleach and the oxolic crystal one part bleach? Do they each work as well?

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

I have not used the 2 part bleach but I've had very good results with blonde decking on a Century I restored using the oxalic. It should work fine for the blonde decks on your Riv. IMHO.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:17 am

Wood-Kote is the stuff I have been using for years and it has worked very well for me.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout