Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Bottom color, water line stripe color

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

parroteyes

Bottom color, water line stripe color

Post by parroteyes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:06 am

What color is the water line stripe on a green bottom runabout with white sides?

I have a proto type 16' runabout.
It has two hull cards, one showing the interior color as green, the other showing it red.
I will paint the bottom green ( more unigue and older hull card).
The top side planks are white.
The hand painted logo is red.
I have exposed the original green bottom paint in places on the original bottom planks so I know it was green.
But there is no evidence that the water line stripe was ever green.

Did these boats have green bottoms and a red stripe?

(I hope so because I'll like that better with the red logo.)

Thanks
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Greg Wallace

Re: Bottom color, water line stripe color

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:57 am

As I recall the green combo was never standard on this series. The "Rocket" blue and more traditional White topsides and varnished decks are what was most common. With out researching all hull cards I am not in a position to say but it appears you may have one that was used to evaluate colors. The green combo might be unique. With white topsides there may be no trace of original waterline stripe or logo color . Logo may not have been red with the green combo. There is a lot you may be able to get a way with and still be true to original (subject to better documentation and research). I would go with the green combo. A silver logo would be technically appropriate but a green logo could perhaps be rationalized as well. Water line stripe may have been green but subject to better documentation who knows for sure.

Perhaps someone out there has done comprehensive research on this model and can correct or verify.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 am

I do have the original planks.
There is no doubt that the original bottom color was green.
There is no doubt that the original hand painted logo was red.

The water line stripe is the question.

There is no evidence that it was ever green. All layers of paint are either white or red in the stripe area.

It just seems peculiar to have a green bottom and a red stripe.

Has anyone ever seen that?
Engine 1B #26564

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Judging from your response to my original post I suspect you may have misinterpreted somewhat. Please allow me to clarify. I am not disputing the originality of the "green" components. You clearly have all you need (hull card) to support this. I think it is really cool that you may very well have a "one of a kind" if restored to the specs on the original (1st) hull card. This could provide alot of fun in a judging situation.

I have never seen a green bottom and interior combo sporting a red waterline and logo. It doesn't mean it never happened but I agree with you that it is at the very least unusual.

If the water line and logo was applied over the white hull side paint (as was mine) then one could reasonably speculate that the color change from green to red may have been accompanied by the (complete) removal of the waterline and logo leaving no evidence of a waterline/logo color change if it did in fact occur. I'm not saying this happened only that it might have. This would in turn leave enough "wiggle room" in your selection of waterline and logo if you would choose something other than red.

There were other models done in the green/white combo as "stock" that might suggest a perferred color other than red. I don't have access to my literature collection at the moment but yellow and green come to mind for the water line. The "stock" logo post war was silver presenting at least a posibility but that too would be speculation. You have a cool and unique boat!

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

What about a double stripe? Like a red and white Racing Runabout. Maybe yours was green and white?
-Brian
1923 Hackercraft 23' Dolphin #03
1938 Gar Wood 22' Streamliner #6256 Empress
1952 Chris~Craft 19' Racing Runabout #363 Thunderstruck
Robinson Restoration, LLC (760) 468-1009

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 pm

I have seen '48 16' without a boot stripe

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 pm

I had one that was built in 47 before the typical model year change over but delivered as a 48 with white topsides. We thought the varnished decks to be either Honduras or Spanish Cedar with an incredibly wild grain pattern. I think I paid 300 bucks for it. Another I wish I'd have held on to.

Maybe its time for a "retrospective" on this model in the "BELL"

If I'm not mistaken I seem to recall Chris Smith telling me at one time that he had use of one of these as a youngster.

Somewhere I have a framed colorized photo of him driving one with a very unique deck color design pattern that used to hang in Dad's office.

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Not all models had a bootstripe.

Did you find any evidence of one on your planks ?

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Parroteyes-

Surely you have the actual photo of this:
Attachments
R-16-0XX.jpg
-Brian
1923 Hackercraft 23' Dolphin #03
1938 Gar Wood 22' Streamliner #6256 Empress
1952 Chris~Craft 19' Racing Runabout #363 Thunderstruck
Robinson Restoration, LLC (760) 468-1009

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 am

The boat in the photo is very similar to mine. It does not appear to have a stripe at the water line.

I had not considered that possibility.

It is marked 1944. Mine is a 46.

Differences include the logo, mine had the red script. Also mine has additional vents aft. The lighter wood in the decking is not how I found mine, but it's hard to know what was original. My family has had the boat since about 1950 and it's been one color deck since then.

Thanks for the photo. I may have it but like lots of things I have, I don't know where it is!
Engine 1B #26564