Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

When should I soak

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

debiby

When should I soak

Post by debiby » Thu May 17, 2012 6:54 pm

My boat is down to bare wood on the sides, I am about ready to paint but thinking I should soak it first, then let the surface dry and put on CPS then paint or should I CPS, paint then soak and launch? I have read post both ways and want to do it right so which should I do?
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri May 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Wood likes to be painted dry. I am not a fan of CPS as a primer, but would recommend two coats of a good oil based primer and finished with two coats of oil based or Briteside finish.
Get your painting done first and then soak.
Slick seam or Interlux underwater seam compound your bottom if necessary prior to bottom paint and launch.

debiby

Post by debiby » Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 pm

This boat has been out for over 3 years so the wood is real dry, I live in Colorado so not much humidity in the air. My thinking is to give it a good soaking to re-hydrate the wood then let it dry out for a week or so before I do any painting, I am afraid if I dont the paint will crack when the wood swells back up. As for CPES I have had great luck with it with varnished surfaces so I figure it should be great for paint as well.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

mfine

Post by mfine » Sat May 19, 2012 6:52 am

I would definitely not add water to the wood and then trap it in there with CPES and paint. Yes they will breath a little but not well.

debiby

Post by debiby » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks guys I bought some oil based primer and will go that way.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"