Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

White line grooves in deck

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Peter McBratney

White line grooves in deck

Post by Peter McBratney » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 am

I am cutting and fitting new planks for the deck of my 19ft Capri and starting to think of the procedure to produce white lines as per the original.

I have cut the 1/8 inch grooves as previous.

Can anyone advise the best material to use for the white fill plus the sequence of application

Thanks

Peter McB

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:33 am

Do a search of the forum...there are lots of threads about how to do this.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am

As RRGadow suggests, try clicking the search link at the top of any page.in this case I would search on the word "seams." This topic is discussed frequently as there are many methods...personal preference in most cases.

Come back here if you do not find what you are looking for or need additional input.
Bill Basler

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Peter,

Seeing as how you are starting with new planks and new grooves, I'd advise using this method:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AntiqueBoat ... APbZby_vqw

That video shows Joel at The Antique Boat Center in Cinncinnati, Ohio using a stiping tool to paint the seams onto mahogany colored caulking in the seam.

My father and I recently attended the symposium held there by the ACBS. Joel taped off both sides of each seam, filled them with Boat Life mahogany caulk, ran a wet fingertip across the top of each seam leaving a concave surface, let it dry, and then followed up with the striping tool.

Since you have new (straight) seams the striping tool should be the easy way to go.

Ken Miller
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Peter,
We followed this book step by step. It's a great resource.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Restore-Your- ... 0760320489
1. Filled seams with mahogany Sikaflex 291 LOT
2. One coat of varnish over it.
3. Paint with white boot stripe paint using striping wheel.
We used this paint striper with good results.
http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001 ... er-Set.htm
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

Peter McBratney

Post by Peter McBratney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks everybody for your assistance. Attached a some pictures of the new wood. Not yet finally fixed, but cut, fitted and grooved, with the exception of the long groove on the outboard plank shown.

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:43 am

Nice work Peter. Thanks for sharing the progress.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Mark Campbell

Post by Mark Campbell » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 am

Personally I like the seams filled with a brown color. Because...once the wood is stained the two match very closely and the stripping of white paint becomes the perfecting line correcting any possible imperfect cuts. If you fill the cuts with a white fill ...well...then the painting of the line becomes mute unless it is painted wider than your white fill. Does this make sense.

When white lines are painted over a brown fill on a deck, the brown fill becomes invisible , it looks like a stain like shadow at most..
Apprentice too Dale Tassell from 1985 till current. Too listen is to learn.

1933 CC Split 15.5 Model 300
1942 CC Special 17
1946 CC Deluxe 17 (2)
1949 CC Deluxe 17
1956 CC Cavalier 15

iamallthumbs

Re: White line grooves in deck

Post by iamallthumbs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm

I know that this issue has been discussed frequently but I have a twist that I could use some help on. The grooves on my Runabout are completely filled, infact the white lines area actually proud of the wood in some places. I am not ready to reef the grooves out this year but would like to repaint the lines because they have yellowed with all the varnish that was put over the paint.

I will purchase a wheeled striper and give it a try but I am concerned about making straight lines without the benefit of a groove to follow. I have watched the videos and it does look easy, but again there are grooves. Am I worrying about a non-problem or would I be better off waiting to paint until I can reef the grooves out ?
Mike D.

1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-413 BOOMER (user boat)
1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-872 ZOOM-ZOOM (project boat)
1965 25' Folkboat SALTY DOG (lapstrake sailboat)
Barn with room for more boats!

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Some people can easily draw a straight line, some of us can't do it with a ruler or laser. My suggestion is to get your more artistically talented wife to do it for you.

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 pm

If your seams are less than perfect a striping wheel will not work well. My advice in your case would be to hire a pinstriper to do them. Just make sure to keep them as narrow as possible.
-Brian
1923 Hackercraft 23' Dolphin #03
1938 Gar Wood 22' Streamliner #6256 Empress
1952 Chris~Craft 19' Racing Runabout #363 Thunderstruck
Robinson Restoration, LLC (760) 468-1009

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:02 am

Either hire a striper (Yes, I said striper with one P) or tape off each side of the seam and paint it with a small brush.

Personally, if I have less than perfect seams I let my "sign guy" do it. He makes it look easy and he enjoys it. He does it at the end of the project when the transom art and registration numbers go on.

Uneven lines can really ruin an otherwise nice restoration.
1929 Hacker Craft Dolphin, 24'
1940 Century Utility, 17'
1947 Chris Craft Special, 16'
1947 Chris Craft Sportsman, 22'
1949 Chris Craft Racing Runabout, 19'
1952 Penn Yan Cartopper, 12'
1954 Chris~Craft Racing Runabout, 19' (For Sale)
1971 Century Arabian, 19'
1973 Dan Arena Custom, 21'

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 pm

I have to say, I was very successful with using tape, on my 1929 Cadet, and taping all the seams off. The tape pulls a very straight line and it was easy to put on two coats of white with a brush. You do not need the grooves to follow. The one thing to watch is the space of the lines they should be consistant from one to the next. Also, it is important to really seal the inside edge of the tape down such that paint will not leak under the tape. Oh it will in a few places which can easily be scraped clean off. So press the inside edges of the tale down firmly. I used a piece of thin flexible plastic, kinda like a credit card, and pressed it firmly over the inside edges of the tape kinda curving the plastic around my finger tip while pressing and dragging. I sanded the lines between coats for the best adheasion and it worked great. The finish was sanding out the decks again, a styrofoam block with 220 silicon carbide paper works great, and then sanding the seam lines again before revarnishing the entire deck seam lines and all. It only sounds like a lot of work. It isn't and the process is very easy for somebody with the skill to manage the restoration process. And it looks oh so good. Putting varnish over everything protects the seam lines and gives them depth as seen through a golden translucent layer of freah varnish; that also makes it look less like lines were just painted on and more like they have always been there.

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:03 am

Good advice Denny, but why white lines on a '29?
-Brian

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:37 am

Hmmmm, Good Question I Think!
Should they not be white?
When I removed the old decks the material used appeared white; what was left. Yet the entire boat had been painted white. Many years since I researched but the words "White Lead" come to mind. Also, since I varnish over the white, which is a semi gloss enamel, they appear as a white gold color. Future coats of varnish will tone them down even more. The idea was to fill the seams such that they would not leak. Just happens to look really great too.

I couldn't figure out how to put an image in with the text here. Still kinda new, but I think the attachment should work fine.

Denny Downing
Attachments
chrome1.JPG

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:16 am

I tried a striping wheel last year (it was a cheap wheel and I am sure a more expensive one would give better performance) and was not happy with the results. I did end up taping with a fine edge "Blue Tape" and was please with the outcome. Like all the work I do, I can see all the flaws, but few others do.

I did not varnish over the paint as the King plank is also painted white. Last year when I asked about this someone sent me this info.

"Prewar Chris' had a coat of varnish over the white compound when new. One coat sealer, two coats varnish, seams filled, then last coat of varnish.

One coat of varnish over white is virtually unnoticeable out in the sun.

Postwar (at least on the more expensive runabouts and Sportsman's), they were varnished over the compound, then striped with white paint after the final."

I like the idea of hiring a sign painter.
Attachments
532135_4739454720410_1287850587_n.jpg
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Denny,

Except for very few special exceptions, Chris-Craft did not go to white deck seams until 1931. Prior to that they were brown originally.
-Brian

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Brian, Are you saying that all those triples we see running around with white seams are incorrect? What were the special exceptions and how many? JK

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:08 pm

I won't disagree.
But, I don't care either as if I made them brown most everybody would probably say they are wrong or ask why I don't paint them white. It certainly does look awfully rich. Also, it is my boat and I will use owners descretion and update as I see fit. It didn't have green upholstry or did it have the name "DAWN" on the transom. Probably had copper and lead based paint on the bottom too. Guess I just love a beautiful old boat and how it looks is up to me; the owner and the restorer. I bet Chris Smith had a good reason for making them white starting a few years later then. Perhaps he thought it looked better too. Not trying to be a wise guy here Brian. But, I'll be the first to stand up and say my boat, although it has the documented original engine, I converted to 12V, is certainly not original and has pushed a lot of water. But, I feel it is pretty darn close to original. My boat was used till it couldn't go any more in 1975. Thats 46 years of original use. I spent about 30 years to restore her to very nice condition, I didn't use any 5200 though. Canvas, Bedding, and Batting are the main construction; I figured if she goes another 46 years it'll be fine with me. Oh, I did use Reed Prince Silicon Bronze screws too. The strait slots on the inside are stainless. So, although your likely very correct in your knowledge I still love my white lines on the seams. You know I love learning about this stuff, however, most the guys I need to ask about stuff here in Algonac are all gone. I can hardly wait for spring and she is ready to run. Isn't that the most important thing. I love my 1929 Chris Craft Cadet to pieces. Come on spring!

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks Brian,
Brown Deck seams on a 1929 is original.
I just got another internet doctorate inspired by you.
I recall thinking the seams looked brown due to several coats of varnish.
The varnish tones the white down as it settles some in the grooves.
So anybody else doing a project like mine BROWN SEAMS is the word.
Guess mine is just one of those special cases.
The process of corse is the same.
You all don't mind if I don't tell people they are supposed to be brown I hope.

Denny
"To Quick To Old To Late To Wise"