Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

paint bright work vs varnish

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

arogue

paint bright work vs varnish

Post by arogue » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm considering the purchase of a pre war CC, she is in very sad shape. Bits of the cabin are rotten and need replacement,(this is minor compared to the rest of her needs) in the end I feel it would be best to paint the cabin instead of trying to match all the mahogany and varnishing it to original condition. I don't want a show boat, this will be a boat that will be resurrected from the dead and used. Is it wrong to paint what was originally beautiful varnished mahogany?

RichardSGambino

Post by RichardSGambino » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:50 am

Is it wrong? Depends on the alternative. Are you willing to put the time in and $$ in to do it bright? And be realistic! Would the boat otherwise become a bonfire next Halloween? Better to preserve it now and let some future owner hate you for the sanding needed to re-varnish than to have the boat disappear forever. Just my humble opinion.
1950 17' Sportsman B engine

Delta Moon

Post by Delta Moon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:10 am

as time ages, sometimes it is better to paint. A gace lift so to speak never hurts a Lady.....

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 am

Here is my 2 cents:
I’m thinking this is a 1941 30 ft Sedan Cruiser (great boat) per your other post, but regardless, is it wrong to paint something that was originally varnished you ask. No, not wrong. Would a lot of us paint where varnish was used, probably not (including me) but this is your boat. That’s the beauty of it. You do what you want. I would say if you restore her back to original or close she will be more valuable and desirable not to mention look fantastic if you should decide to sell. I commend you for bringing this beauty back to life however you do it as long as it is done in a way where it will be safe out on the water. That should be the goal. You mentioned she is not destined to be a show boat therefore does it really matter to you? Another nice thing about a wood boat is you can always re due something if you do not like it. Have fun with your project. Keep us posted.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:32 am

I think painting would be fine, but I would first apply a coat of varnish to seal the grain. There is nothing worse than trying to get paint out of the grain if you should decide at a later date to finish the brightwork bright! I like painted boats, much less work and more cruising in yt opinion.
Arnie

1947 25' Red & White Express Cruiser
1959 22' Sea Skiff Ranger Trunk Cabin
1968 22' Cavalier Cutlass
Four Lyman's

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am

For what it's worth, the stained wood on my little Connie was painted over years ago. The story is that it remained that way for quite a few years. Then before I became her owner, she was stripped to bare wood, stained and varnished. The paint must have done a good job of preserving the wood because it's still in excellent condition now. I'm thinking that stripping the paint was a lot of work but there's no sign of it remaining now.

There's an old wood Commander here on the river that's painted with mahogany colored paint. Looks good from a distance. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend painting but, as the others said...

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 am

I am a USER, run my cruiser every week of the year, so paint, especially her on the Chesapeake, is a real good option. For a boat that has some rough spots anyway, I say paint her and enjoy. My interior woodwork is still original bright, but the exterior surfaces have been painted interlux white for years, way before I got her...so I continue with that.

on the subject of paint: I may have already posted this but:
A fellow at my marina has a great Elco that has been his BABY for over 30 years. He has, upon the recommendation of a highly experienced local boatyard owner/manager/worker, just painted the entire hull above the waterline with Benjamin Moore latex house paint. It looks great! Think about these high $ marine oil based paints we always use...they take DAYS to dry, catch every bug in the meantime, and god forbid it rain while out for paint = lousy job?
What do you guys think? John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:23 am

John, the Commander I mentioned earlier - latex house paint.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Al, so how does it hold up over time?
and who really cares, if like me, you paint every year? Buildup may be a problem I guess????
John
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm

John,

I don't think he paints it every year but he does keep it clean. It looks like a wood house, I don't think latex paint hardens enough to sand and feather. If you look close you can see overlaps where some were applied. As you say, when it gets too thick and messy, strip it as you would an old house and paint it again.

I'll see him Sunday, I'll ask him how well it's been holding up. He's had it for about 5 or 6 years now.

Al

arogue

Post by arogue » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:10 pm

thanks for all the positive input, I hope to save this boat from the bonfire.

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 am

I would love to see some photos if you can.
Jim
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

evansjw44

Paint

Post by evansjw44 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:01 pm

I've seen a lot of old CCs get their bright work painted out. Some, I guess, because there was so much wood work done that matching the finish colors would be a chore. In that event a "tasteful" paint color selection is a good answer. In my opinion, painting areas that should be bright work with mahogany colored paint just looks tacky. IMHO. But painting canin sides an attractive color and accenting with the trim painted a coordinated color can look pretty respectable. If you look at Sea Skiffs, very few had much bright work, at least on cabine side, rails et al.

I'd just do it. So, would the color police come and write you a citation? Maybe some snotty ACBS judge would knock you dowm some points.
Jim Evans

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Here's the Commander I mentioned.

She's a 1953, 41' Chris-Craft Commander with fly bridge. Not bad for house paint. I like her with the mahogany color paint (special mix). I saw him this morning but he left early, didn't get a chance to talk.

Al

gebaker

My 2 cents

Post by gebaker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:20 am

Pay attention to everyone else- but here is my 2 cents:

I have a 1947 23' Express with that is 98% painted as original, and a 1952 Holiday that is all bright- and have restored more than my share of others that were some of both.

The Chris Craft stain was intended to cover up lots of grain and color issues with the wood that was available. Once the wood is sanded and ready to stain, it fills in the gaps, and after varnishing lasts quite a long time- especially in the cabin. If you have lots of wood replacement, it is amazing what that stain can cover- just like in the early days. Being from Iowa, I am not sure that the original Chris Craft stain was really barn paint that was left outside too long and congealed—but once stained- the varnish does its work and is very durable.

After 16 years of very regular use for both boats, having bought and restored them within 18 months back then, I have re-painted the painted boat almost every 2-3 years for one reason or another, and have only had to re-coat the varnished and stained boat every 7-8 years- with only a brief scuffing and recoating after repairing the inevitable nicks. The stain is easier, requires less prep, and the expensive Epifanes goes a very long way per can with a roll-and-tip application. To do a good paint job with paint seemed to take just as long to prep- but required more frequent updating and maintenance.

So what conclusion from this ramble--prep is prep, can all things considered I really can't say painting is really any easier or lasts any longer than varnish once you are using these boats on a regular basis and taking routine care and covering up. Traditional varnish, once you have a hang of it, is an incredibly versatile and durable finish. Even when put over rather thickly applied CC stain- it can generate a sheen and smell that is both forgiving and natural.

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:48 am

What? Are you all insane? OK maybe I am being a tad harsh here. But for the sake of not making this a landslide into the go ahead of it and paint camp.. A counter point. Why buy a cool pre war wood boat.. The bright work is the coolest part and was designed with that in mind to work with its beautiful lines. Like Farrah Faucets hair, or ugh, now just Beebers hair.. Why did he cut it anyway.. I digressThat was a conscious choice to change an image. Your decision is to avoid the inevitable. By asking you are asking for permission to do something that in your heart you know is wrong. Well Mr. I am here to help you.. VARNISH.. Do it.. you will always be grateful that you did. You know you will..

Now, to jump in on the landslide.. because the guys are right.... if you are going to paint it. have fun with it. Choose an interesting theme.. Like this.. Since it was a pre war boat.. Lets just say that it was used for the navy looking for subs. So.. It would have been possibly painted.. look at some of the U22 navy boats. They were painted. Have fun with that and embrace it within a concept. But dont try and fake a look of varnish.. Just my 2 cents. I actually like the paint idea better since it would be something different.. and in an odd way a fun show boat because we could all learn form it. Not to mention go out and look for subs..
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com