Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gold Leaf Artwork

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Chad Durren

Gold Leaf Artwork

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:31 pm

Since post war CC decals are silver with white outlines, I was thinking about duplicating the look on the transom name. Has anybody out there used silver or "white gold" leaf instead of the traditional yellow gold leaf? I see a lot of silver & chrome mylar but have not seen any silver leaf samples.

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:16 am

Wino Sign Co.

Chad,
I had very good results with this company, who is Matt Smith, and Krunch, of the WhooooWhaaa and Ummmm fame. They did my numbers and a semi-custom hailing port, in gold leaf, and it came out nice. Matt's boat, "Sylvia" is in silvereaf, I believe. Anyway, give them a call @ 804-815-3121, see wht they have to say. I was pleased...D
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:40 am

:D just wondering if three coats of varnish over silver leaf yellows it down to a gold look anyway? let me know.................mark

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 am

Thanks guys. Sorry Matt, I should have remembered that. I just checked out the older posts at Woody Boater and I found the shots of the silver leaf. Does it look silver or yellow after the the final coats of varnish?

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 am

It does look a bit amber'ed, but make no mistake...the silver leaf definitely looks different than gold. This topic came up a few years back with the discovery of the über original New Hampshire barrelback. This boat had the original stain and varnish overall, and the original silver leaf hullside script. As I recall it was special ordered (noted on the hull card) with a red outline to match the special ordered red bottom. Again, this tidbit is pulled from memory. My wife would tell you not to trust that!

I also recall that a sign painter reviewed the sample and determined that it was actually aluminum leaf. As with all leaf, there are many variations. The leaf products range from 24 karat gold (true, gold leaf) to imitation gold leaf, aka "composition gold" leaf or Dutch Gold. These products are alloyed with brass, which, of course, will tarnish, and must be overcoated. True, 24 karat gold leaf is really, really, (did I say really) thin. It is far touchier to apply than the imitation gold, but it's the real deal. Real 24 karat gold will not tarnish.

Same goes for silver leaf vs aluminum leaf. However, real silver...just like Mom's fancy dinnerware will tarnish fairly quickly. Aluminum leaf, I believe, is a bit sturdier when applying, and is a brighter silver.

Maybe Matt Smith's friend Kap 'N Krunch can chime in here.

Bill Basler

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Thanks Bill. Looks like I'm down to 24kt or aluminum leaf. I'll post the results when she's complete.

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:32 am

Here is what I have found. Silver tarnishes. So my silver leaf is kinda turning green. and gold. Its actually a cool look. But the aluminum is the way to go.mmmmmm whoooo..mmmmm So if you want the silver look. And it is very cool.. Go with the aluminum. Otherwise gold rocks.....Another cool option that I am starting to himmmmm and haaaaa over is just plain gold paint with a highlight. and shadow. That is a real sign painters look. The other thing that makes the most difference is the font you choose. Gold/ silver lief looks great in certain fonts. Try Letterheadfonts.com they have some killer fonts. You can also type in your name and see what it looks like. Or send me a shot of your transome and I will photo shop the name on it so you can see what it looks like.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Doug P

Re: Gold Leaf Artwork

Post by Doug P » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:24 pm

I also noted more of the aluminum foil being used, which will" yellow/gold" after varnish.Image
[/img]