Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Howard feed and wax wood polish and conditioner

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Markhondru

Howard feed and wax wood polish and conditioner

Post by Markhondru » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Hello, want the varnish on my barrelback to shine. I found this online and it has no silicone or linseed oil. It’s a mix of beeswax,carnauba wax and orange oil. Says it prevents drying of the wood and protects finish. I know some are against putting anything on to boat varnish But with it not containing silicone or linseed oil i thought I could be okay. Thoughts before I buy some? Thanks mark

Matt Smith

Re: Howard feed and wax wood polish and conditioner

Post by Matt Smith » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:17 am

NO! NO! And NO! Anything on that finish will be a beast to refresh which is really what you need. Some folks use 3M Finesse, its a very fine buffing material. Its used to polish up the varnish. But its end of the season, so get two coats on her over the winter. If you let it go too long, it will get worse than a dull finish. Stay ahead of it.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:35 am

I think the wax is going to be a future problem with the inevitable varnish freshening that will need to happen. Unless you can be certain the wax can be completely stripped off, you may have issues with the new varnish not adhering or the dreaded fish eyes where the varnish creeps away from waxy spots. It will be plank seams where the wax will not be able to be completely removed and you will be cursing the day you applied it.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:49 pm

I agree with Matt and the Bilge Rat. Wax on a finish will cause adhesion problems for any top coats.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Some peddler came to my house once and claimed that he could wax my hardwood floors so they would be shinier than ever.

After throwing him out we got the insurance check from his company and had the floors professionally stripped and refinished.

No wax on as everyone is saying.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"