Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

fuel pump check valve

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Moondocker

fuel pump check valve

Post by Moondocker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:41 am

Hi all,
I rebuilt the fuel pump (AC) on my KLC after engine rebuild and in the initial start up process, it would not pump. I took it off and after :shaking it up" a bit it started working. I know this because while moving the primer bail and working the lever that runs off of the cam shaft, I could feel the pumping action with my free hand. Yesterday, went to the lake for a ride and it did the same thing. I removed the pump, tapped the check valve area and it started working...again. I took it for an 1.5 hour ride and it ran like a dream. It worked great when I last ran it 10 days ago. I even noticed that when idling at the dock with the engine box open, it was pumping like crazy as I looked at the sediment bowl. I am hoping that as it wears a bit, this will stop. While not a huge deal to remove the pump, I don't want to be doing it out in the middle of the lake.
Anybody ever experience this?
Thanks
Mark

cc-woodboats

Re: fuel pump check valve

Post by cc-woodboats » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

sound like you have stick or leaking check valves in the pump.
were the valves replaced when you rebuilt the pump?
at an idle you should see very little fuel movement in the sediment bowl as the engine is not using much fuel.

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Which fuel valves do you have. The rubber in the original style is prone to swelling from the additives that are put in the fuels nowadays. With the rubber being in a cage they can stick intermittently.

Moondocker

Post by Moondocker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 pm

The valves were replaced when I rebuilt the pump last month. They were not in a cage and patience had to be taken in installing the check valves and springs. Also, you are correct. Perhaps I misspoke when I said "pumping like crazy". At an idle at the dock, I would see an influx of fuel (movement) in the glass and then no movement until the carb called for fuel again. Out side of this sticking issue, it works perfectly. I guess I will have to monitor and if need be, take the housing that holds the valves apart and see what is going on.