Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Exhaust manifolds, Risers, Elbows, Adaptors, End Caps

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

island time

Exhaust manifolds, Risers, Elbows, Adaptors, End Caps

Post by island time » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 am

Ok so I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what manifolds and related parts I need for my 1968 23 Commander.
Let's start with it most likely came from the factory with a 327QA but the engine has been changed to an automotive style most likely 327 or 350 according to the casting numbers from the late 70s through the mid 80s. The engine is facing rearward and the flywheel is coupled to a V-drive.
I found a hole in one of the manifolds so I was going to replace both. During the disassembly I discovered that the Osco manifolds were not plumbed correctly and while the front caps have two ports (1 inlet and the other to return water to the block) there was no way for water to circulate through the manifolds because the elbow end was just blocked off.
So going forward I am having difficulty trying to find all of the necessary parts to make it work properly let alone return it to the original chris craft configuration.
As always any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

Tom Gruenauer

Re: Exhaust manifolds, Risers, Elbows, Adaptors, End Caps

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:05 am

It looks like my 327F with an aftermarket intake manifold. Here are some photos for reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:12 pm

What you have is an F series Chris Craft engine with a lot of aftermarket parts. The Q series is a flywheel forward engine in relation to the transmission mounting. Not necessarily the way the engine is mounted in the boat.

If the transmission is mated to the flywheel end of the engine its not a Q series.

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:54 am

I don't know where your located. But here are 2 Q's on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182175171554?_t ... :MEBIDX:IT

island time

Post by island time » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:58 am

I guess I'm not enough of a purest to convert it back to a Q series, lots of problems getting parts and all.
If I understand what I've read this is an F series which is a lot like an automotive engine making it very easy to obtain parts. The only stumbling block that I have right now is I purchased a new set of Barr manifolds and they will not bolt up to the front caps nor the risers that I have and the issue of the return passage for water returning to the block is still a problem. It seems as though there should be some type of fitting between the manifold and the riser to create a return path for the cooling water. Am I correct that this is a 2-pass system?

Craig

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes. F series is a 2 pass system. With all the extra plumbing on that motor it looks like it been made to work correctly. Barr makes a replacement riser that is almost identical to the original Chris Craft one. Don't know how much you want to spend but it would get rid of most of the added on parts on your motor.

island time

Post by island time » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks for your reply Jim,
It seems as though you are quite familiar with the different cooling systems. Can you elaborate on what I can get rid of? I don't have the benefit of seeing what an F setup should look like. Also having not seen the proper original setup I don't know what parts and pieces I should have and which parts should not be there.
I really didn't want to spend a fortune on this part of the project but it looks as though I don't have much of a choice. I already spent over $500. on the manifolds and if I have to replace the risers I will more than double that. In the end I will do that if I have to but at this point I can't seem to find out exactly what all parts I need. The Barr website is no help but I also have not called their tech line. I will do that next week unless anyone out there knows exactly the parts I need.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Craig,

The pictures Tom posted on this thread are of a correct F series.