Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Paragon 1XE adjustment

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SteveH

Paragon 1XE adjustment

Post by SteveH » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Hello,

Last thing on my list before water test this Friday was to adjust forward gear by one notch. I had some slipping on my earlier trials. Managed to get the locking bolt out and clear (pic shows it in). I can't get the collar to turn clockwise. I have the tranny in reverse. How much effort should it take to turn the collar? Any suggestions? Also, out of curiosity, how far are the adjustment holes apart on the disc? Pic enclosed in case there is something to see.

Thanks, Steve
20150913_171626.jpg

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

cc-woodboats

Re: Paragon 1XE adjustment

Post by cc-woodboats » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:07 am

Hi Steve,
the adjustment holes are about 1 5/16" apart.
you may have to use a punch and hammer to get the drum to move.
Should not take much tapping to get the drum to move.
there are 2 threaded holes on the cover for the lock bolt.
by moving the bolt from one hole to the other you can make a 1/2 hole adjustment.
When it is adjusted correctly the shift lever should snap into forward.
don't over tighten the clutch drum,that tends to break the shift fork!
usually 1 or 1and1/2 holes should do the trick.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks CC,

Ok, I'll give it another try. First time doing this.

Hope this is the right fix for what I was experiencing. Besides some slipping, I couldn't get the shifter to snap or detent or however its referred to. I have a tall shifter in the skiff - it would hit the bulkhead if you tried and would rest back an inch or two - but never lock. No idea if it has been run like this for extended periods as I have a whole 1 hour in the boat at slow to medium speeds. I was wondering if something in the linkage was out of adjustment, but my best neutral (a bit of shaft turn) sees the shifter at 90 degrees, so figured I would start in the transmission.

Steve

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

davidvn

Post by davidvn » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:36 am

Hi
I set the lock bolt a eleven o'clock and lock the trans in reverse then loosen the lock bold and move the outer drum to twelve o'clock and tighten lock screw. This should stop the slipping and shorten the throw.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks David,

Well, a few things happened last night. In trying to get the drum held tighter in reverse so I could try to move the collar again, I found the reverse detent. Never had the shifter back far enough with enough force (and not a lot at that). So, I tried forward and found that detent just before the bulkhead, but with decent room to spare. Coming out of gear, I get a good solid clunk. I just don't remember this happening two years ago - the resistance does increase a fair bit just before the set, so maybe I backed off not being familiar with it all. Again, not much time in the boat. Sheepishly, another learning moment.

That's said, and the reason for discovering the above, is that I still can't move the collar. So, maybe not require at the moment - test will tell, but still bugs me that I can't move it for future potential adjustments. I tried some gentle tapping, but stopped as I don't want to hurt anything. The boat sat for many years, so the upper threads of the drum sat out of the oil bath, so maybe seized a bit.

If anyone has any tips/methods on a stuck collar, I'm all ears, but again may not be crucial at the moment.

Thanks, Steve

17 ft. Devlin Oarling