Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

No oil presure model K

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

bongocruiser

No oil presure model K

Post by bongocruiser » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:26 am

This is not good, my oil pressure in my 1942 CC special model K went to zero. No sign of oil leakage, oil level ok. Hoping it was just a bad gauge I took the copper oil line off the back of the gauge and started the engine and no oil came out. Blew the line clean with compressed air and same thing.

I assume the oil pump must of went or something in the pan. I assume I need to pull the engine. Any suggestions before I pull the motor out?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

drrot

Re: No oil presure model K

Post by drrot » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:35 pm

Take the line off that goes in to the block behind the starter. Put a gauge in there and run it. That port is direct from the pump.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

jim g

Post by jim g » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Sounds like the oil pump could have lost its prime. If your engine is a 42 model like your boat. Your probably running the prewar pump which is a smaller pump then the postwar ones. Do you have an oil cooler? If you don't have a cooler the you will not have a copper line behind the starter. If you do have a cooler is it on a prewar block? If so was it installed correctly which means was the engine taken apart to plug the oil galley hole above the pump. If not then you have oil going in 2 different directions then they are meeting and dead heading somewhere. Which is not good. So I would recommend pulling either the line Jim said to or if you don't have the cooler pull the gauge line off at the block. Hook up a oil pressure test gauge, pull the spark plugs out and spin it over and see if you get oil pressure. You need to use a test gauge as it will give good readings at low pressure. If you really have lost oil pressure running it will cause severe damage. If it hasn't happened already.

If you blew compressed air through the oil gauge line while it was still hooked to the engine. You have induced air into the oil system. Which could cause loss of prime on the oil pump. Which could mean if you had bad gauge or kinked line some were you have possibly created another problem.

bongocruiser

Post by bongocruiser » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:08 am

Thank you for your replies. I do have an oil cooler. Behind the starter is a 'T' fitting where the tubing goes back to the cooler and another line goes forward to the gauge. It's not the easiest place to work on. I think I need to remove the starter to get a wrench in there, I'll try to remove the 'T' and rig up some temporary fittings to a new gauge to get a reading. Hopefully I don't need to pull the engine but if I do my engine compartment could use a good cleaning and paint job.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 am

If you can gain access to a "pre-oiler" you can pressurize the system and determine if you have a fault (oil pressure escaping from system). I believe there is a braided 1/2 inch line connecting the pump to the block in the pan. This can be checked through the access port in the side of the pan. You will probably have to pull the engine and drain the oil first.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

Billy Nixon

Post by Billy Nixon » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:00 pm

Have the same model K motor with oil cooler. Oil pressure gauge installed in block at starter 50 psi. Gauge at tee behind coil maybe 5 lbs