Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fuel pump kit question

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Jbyerspe

Fuel pump kit question

Post by Jbyerspe » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:26 pm

IMG_0934.JPG
I think this one is correct
I just rebuilt my fuel pump on my 58 Cavalier K engine. I want to be sure about the orientation of the valves. I believe the first picture is the correct way. I can hear the valve squeek when I suck on the carburetor side, but when I assembled the diaphram there was very little suction on the fuel bowl side. (Of course I hadn't torqued the screws down all the way, so maybe the air is leaking past the sealing surfaces on the diaphram.)

Also the play in the lever is pretty minimal. I am certain I got everything back as it was when I took it apart.

Please comment and let me know if these valves are correct in the first picture.
Attachments
IMG_0935.JPG

Doug P

Re: Fuel pump kit question

Post by Doug P » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Jerry, I can't help you with this one. I must commend you for the time and effort you are putting in on your boat. We have to come up with a name for your boat, something like Relentless, Persistence or...? :)

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:00 pm

How about "Doesn't Know When To Quit" ??

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:47 pm

Jerry, I have seen many "quit", but it is usually health, or dollars, seldom is it the person's will.
In my case, "Doesn't know how to quit"

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:00 pm

The check valves are correct in the first pic. The lever takes quite a bit of force to get full travel.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks CN

Theurkauf

Post by Theurkauf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Just checked a spare pump I have and it does look like the valves are correct in the first picture. In my experience, poor suction on the input side is often due to a misaligned gasket on the glass fuel bowl. I drain my fuel system every fall, and it seems like I have to fiddle with the bowl gasket every spring. If everything is working right, a few pumps gets fuel to the bowl. It the gasket is off a bit and there''s a vacuum leak, you can pump all day and get nothing.

Bill

Theurkauf

Post by Theurkauf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:39 pm

In my experience, poor suction on the input side is often due to a poor seal for the gasket on the glass fuel bowl. I drain my fuel system every fall, and it seems like I have to fiddle with the bowl gasket every spring. If everything is aligned properly, a few pumps gets fuel flowing to the bowl. It the gasket is off a bit and there''s a vacuum leak, you can pump all day and get nothing.

Bill

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Put the 2 halves together when the diaphragm is installed put all the screws in and thread them in a couple of turns. Then mount the pump in a vice and compress the diaphragm arm all the way in. Using the lever that goes in the engine. Then tighten all the screws down. Not doing this can/will cause premature failure of the diaphragm.

Jbyerspe

Post by Jbyerspe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:05 am

Jim, Jim, Jim............ now ya tell me.......... :lol:

Jbyerspe

Post by Jbyerspe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:14 am

Well the rebuild did the trick. It started right up. Not sure if it was the fuel pump or the clogged inline filter I replaced. For certain the screen in the top of the fuel pump sediment bowl was almost completely clogged, but the valves seemed OK and the diaphram although worn had no visible breaks in it.

Now my engine is kind of smokey so I guess I need to tweek the carb. Any suggestions for doing that??

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:49 am

A 58 should have a fixed high speed jet. The only thing adjustable is the idle screw. high up on the side of the carb throat. This is not the screw that adjust the throttle plate.

YOu probably just need to get it in the water and run the snot out of it.

Jbyerspe

Post by Jbyerspe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:01 am

I like you last suggestion best Jim......... I guess I should do that before even thinking about any adjustments.........