Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Transmission

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dholdmann

Transmission

Post by dholdmann » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:10 am

Just picked up two different complete 283's. The first one is a late 50's with the manual gear box and the other is from 67 and it has the hydraulic paragon on it. Both have been sitting for 10-15 years and both look to be in good shape. Which transmission would be the better one to go with. I am assuming both will need to be torn down and rebuild I just don't know if one is better than the other. This will probable be my first of many questions as I try to get one of these engines ready for the boat.

WoodenRookie

Re: Transmission

Post by WoodenRookie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:34 pm

might want to determine what each ratio is (1:1, 1.5:1) Is your application(boat) a runabout or cruiser?
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

dholdmann

Post by dholdmann » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 pm

They both are 1:1, the boat is a 18' sea skiff.

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 am

Do you still have the linkages from whatever the original power was? If not, and originality is not your top priority, I would go with the hydraulic transmission. That way you could have a single control lever for both the throttle and shift-very convenient (and modern!)
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 am

JimF wrote:Do you still have the linkages from whatever the original power was? If not, and originality is not your top priority, I would go with the hydraulic transmission. That way you could have a single control lever for both the throttle and shift-very convenient (and modern!)
Convenient, but not too modern. My 1965 Sea Skiff has an original Morse single lever control. :wink:

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:32 pm

you could of course rig the lever to control the hydraulic gear box and I would use that one if you can fit it in....need to consider room for the cooler and etc.
either one is likely to be ok....I swear I would try to test run them...might need little or no work.....paragons are pretty bullet proof. But if these engines are takeout....well, they were "taken out" for a reason.....if the engine, fix it and try the gears like they are? IMHO anyway.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:15 am

Either way you will need to go with a flywheel forward configuration. The flywheel aft config takes a lot more room. Fort that matter, the reduction gear take up room too and would require a bigger prop, bigger shaft, bigger stuffing box, etc.
Jim Evans

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 am

Yes, Jim is correct about all of the above.....I forgot the length issue in re flywheel position and clearly the length of the bolt on gear behind the hydraulic unit will be a shaft length issue unless being direct drive means you can attach that unit right to your existing flange.
John In Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

dholdmann

Post by dholdmann » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Just did a little double checking on the paragon hydraulic and it is a standard rotation direct drive. Looked a little closer at the engine as well and it is all there and spins over. My plan at this point is to squirt some extra oil down each cylinder and let it soak for a few days, fresh gas and plugs and see if I can get it to fire. Maybe that will help me determine which trans to use. One thing that I will need is the morse control lever. Did the one lever control both throttle and shift? Does anyone know where I may be able to find one?