Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1954 Spotsman

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

cuckter

1954 Spotsman

Post by cuckter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a original 95 hp K (Hercules) motor and transmission in my 1954 Sportsman. I am having problems finding the neutral gear. Every time I start the motor it seems to be in reverse gear. My book, "An Introduction to Your New Chris Craft" states that the "boat run at the dock with the reverse gear in the neutral position". I know this sounds like a "stupid question, but I am not sure where is the reverse neutral gear? The book also said to warn the motor, "put the nose of the boat against the dock and put the lever in a go-ahead position". I don"t think this is a good idea of running the boat in the forward position against the dock. Any help would be appreciated.

quitchabitchin

Re: 1954 Spotsman

Post by quitchabitchin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 am

"Reverse gear" is the technical term for the transmission.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 am

The paragon trans doesn't have a neutral position per say, It has a clutch to lock up the planetary gear set for forward and a band to to hold the panetary ring gear for reverse. Neutral is where neither the clutch or band are applied. You just have to find the position of the trans lever where the shaft doesn't turn and that's neutral.
Jim Evans

mfine

Post by mfine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 am

My jet drive lacks a neutral position. There is a reverse gate that you can balance to minimize how hard it pulls. I have found the thrust can be useful in keeping the boat tight to the bumpers up next to the dock if tied up correctly. A trick I learned from ferry boat operations.

So, if tied up well, I see no reason you couldn't warm up the engine with it in gear.

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Yea, till a chock pops or the dock cleat lets go.

mfine

Post by mfine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:43 pm

"Tied up well" implies multiple lines and well attached tie down locations. The ammount of thrust is not that much either. I can easily hold it by hand without getting pulled in.

Theurkauf

Post by Theurkauf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:38 am

The forward drive is adjustable to compensate for plate ware. In trying to salvage a worn transmission on a 1950 Sportsman, I tightened the adjustment to the point that there was no "space" between forward and reverse. My transmission had to be rebuilt. You may have the opposite problem (new plate/forward too tight). I would try backing off on the forward adjustment one or 2 notches. This isn't hard to do and is described in the CC 4 and 6 cylinder operators manual, and I believe on this forum somewhere. This may give you a bit more wiggle room between forward and reverse. As long as it doesn't lead to slippage, I don't think it can do any damage.

Good luck,
Bill

cuckter

Post by cuckter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for the information. I will try to review the adjustments instructions in the manual on the transmission to see if I can get a better feel for the neutral position.