Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CC 327F w/ Corvette Valve Covers

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

sproat3

CC 327F w/ Corvette Valve Covers

Post by sproat3 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 am

I recently bought a fully restored 1960 Capri. The original engine from the hull card was a 283, but my mechanics at Sierra Boat have confirmed that the engine in the boat is now a 327F (with no engine nameplates). The engine has Corvette valve covers with no hose connections for a PCV. The rest of the engine components including the carb flame arrestor look like the originals in the 287 manual.
Does anybody know if CC supplied any of their engines with Corvette valve covers or were these probably installed by whomever replaced the engine or modified the original block? I'm going to install new CC nameplates but I'm trying to figure out whether I've got a factory engine or a post-factory modified version of the original.
Thanks for the help.
1960 Chris Craft Capri (Tahoe Heidi)

Greg Wallace

Re: CC 327F w/ Corvette Valve Covers

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 am

Chris Craft, to the best of my knowledge never installed corvette valve covers on any of their 283/327 series engines. They did, however, provide them with the LT1 based 350 FLV as installed in the XK 22 for example. These were aluminum and finned but no "corvette" scripts since they were used in the Z/28's as well. These have the pcv and oil fill holes in them.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

sproat3

Re: CC 327F w/ Corvette Valve Covers

Post by sproat3 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Greg-
Thanks for the quick reply.
BTW- Do you know when CC stopped using the brass engine nameplates and went to stainless steel? I've got both and am trying to decide which to put on the engine.
1960 Chris Craft Capri (Tahoe Heidi)