Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Are these strainers or what?

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

debiby

Are these strainers or what?

Post by debiby » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I found these on both engines and the ends look to be coming off of one and one end is off of the other. There are two big hoses and two small hoses on each one, the two small go to the fresh water pump and one of the bigger hoses, can't tell where the other one goes. Anyway if they are strainers do I need them in a fresh water lake? If they serve another purpose someone let me know. Picures aren't the best sorry.

Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

debiby

Post by debiby » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 am

After some research I think I have figured out they are oil coolers, my guess is for the trannies. I will trace the hoses in the morning. I am glad launch got delayed or else this would have been bad, all that water coming in once I started the engines, that would have sucked big time.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 am

Yes, they are transmission coolers. The original ones on a challenger were mounted on a bracket next to the transmission and had cast bronze ends. They were often victim to cracking based on bad winterizing, so this one looks like a generic replacement.

Some of the larger CC engines had twin coolers, one for transmission, and one for engine oil.

evansjw44

Oil Cooler

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:21 am

Those look like the coolers used on Chryslers. Do you have Chrysler engines?
Jim Evans

debiby

Post by debiby » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 am

Yup 413's. Hope I can find new ones without breaking the bank. Any idea where to look?
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"