Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1958 Evinrude

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

RichardSGambino

1958 Evinrude

Post by RichardSGambino » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 am

An acquaintance today handed me a 1958 Fleetwin Evinrude, 7.5 HP. He also handed me the original operating manual along with with inserts forthe Outboard Boating Club Of America and a listing of Evinrude Distributors and Dealers. The engine had been stored in a friends uncles garage for the past 30 years or so and was going to be thrown out. Thinking of just cleaning a lubricating and then leaving in original condition vs restore. Any thoughts?
1950 17' Sportsman B engine

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:30 am

Richard,

Some of our ACBS Chapter members are also AOMCI members. Some of them have old outboard motors they use as displays when we have our local shows. Most of them need rebuilding to actually work. Our Ole' Boys Boat Club workshop has several of them hanging from columns and on the walls. The shop owner has one mounted on the post of his boat trailer for display, looks cool!!!
Al
Member - Executive Team

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:46 am

These things are VERY dangerous to keep around. I would strongly suggest you give it to me!

Post some pics of the condition. If the paint is OK, I would just leave it for now, but it all depends on your intended use. Display or actual use on the water? They are generally pretty easy to work on and as long as you have compression they are surprisingly reliable with a little work.

There is a big outboard guy with the ACBS chapter in Skineateles if you need an expert to talk to.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm with mfine on this one, you shouldn't keep it around your house, very dangerous. If it scares mfine to keep at his place, mine would also be safe. Awesome find!!! Similar thing happened to my dad, a friend brought over a 5 HP Mercury from an old duck hunting boat that got scrapped. He just showed up with it and dropped it off. Pretty cool piece of boating history.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes!---Some of us ACBS members are also AOMCI members. I just happen to be the Treasurer, for whatever that is worth.

The 1958 series Evinrudes are harder to come by than their Johnson counterparts and the 1958 year is considered to be the last year for nice cosmetic design. 1959 was the Golden Anniversary and that year they went to a fiberglass shroud----really changed the design. The 7.5 was dropped that year, so yours is the last of the production run.

If the motor is a nice looking original, I would suggest not restoring it cosmeticly. Dollar wise they don't bring a large price and sometimes the cosmetic restoration cost is way beyond the dollar value.

Vists our web site: www.AOMCI.org