Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Head Gasket Installation

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JimESmith

Head Gasket Installation

Post by JimESmith » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 am

I'm planning to replace the head gasket on #71826, 1941 Deluxe Runabout this weekend. It has a KB engine and I'm looking for the definitve procedure for gasket installation. I have the torque and sequence and have read the many posts regarding torqueing and retorqueing. Some have recommended using a gasket sealer with the copper gasket. Is this the best method and if so what sealer should be used?

Thanks,
Jim

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Jim,

When we installed the head on my K we used Permatex spray. I think it's recommended for heads and blocks that may have small scratches and other inperfections. If they have been re-surfaced I think it's ok to use the copper gasket as is.

Al

Oh, the product was Permatex, Copper Spray-A-Seal[/url]

JimESmith

Post by JimESmith » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks, Al

I got the same recommendation from a guy here at work that builds race engines as a hobby. I'll pick some up and change that gasket on Saturday.

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Jim,
even after resurfacing there was some pitting around the water jacket holes in the block and head of my "K" so I used Permatex "ultra copper" high temp rtv around each hole very sparingly and had no problems with leaking.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

JimESmith

Post by JimESmith » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Update:
I successfully removed the old and installed the new head gasket using all of the advice above. I have observed no leaks (at the end of last year I had some water seeping out of the forward end of the head) after following the torque-heat-torque sequence outlined by Mitch LaPointe. A few more laps of the lake over the next few weekends will tell the true story. One last question: Mitch's procedure calls for 65 lb-ft on the K heads while other sources spec out 60 lb-ft. Is 65 too tight?

Thanks for all the help,
Jim

NSJA

Post by NSJA » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Jim,

My good friend Jerry Turney, aka "The Razz" torques his 1942 17' Deluxe's head to 70 ft/lbs. I torqued mine to 65 this year and after an hour of operation, many studs/bolts had to be re-torqued, even though the gasket is not new. I believe that with a new one it takes 3+ times for the head to fully seat.

NSJA