Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Old Fuel Problems

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

drrot

Old Fuel Problems

Post by drrot » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:32 pm

I get asked often if it is worth the time and expense to remove a fuel tank and have it cleaned and sealed. I cut this one open to scrap it and was suprised at the "Muck" on the bottom. Probably change 100s of filters and still have problems.

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm

I was rather hoping to see some discussion on this topic.

My 36' 1967 Crusader has 2 87 1/2 gallon galvanized tanks. Apparently the galvanization is flaking off. I get a lot of sandy looking gunk in my fuel filters.

I have been considering what I'm going to do about it, and would appreciate others feedback.

I am not in the mode of doing an original restoration, however, whenever reasonable and feasible I do like to at least try to make things as original.
John Stolte
1967 Chris Craft Crusader 36'
"Voyager"
1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 21'

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

campjer

Post by campjer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Such an important subject.

When I finally got my baby wet in the spring - I figured I'd be able to start where it was left off from a previous owner. Only - I wasn't aware how quickly new gas can really turn to scudge.

While the corrosion of the tanks is almost a separate issue - the two can be tied in together - as without proper food for the belly of the beast - the beast won't be moving much (if at all).

The number of issues I personally had due to residue of this nature in my port tank caused me grief beyond belief. I probably wasted $200 of new fuel. Several filters... and in the end - pumped the tank dry multiple times and replaced the freshly rebuilt Rochester carb with an Edelbrock 1409 (see my previous posts for the guk in the carb!).

I've met a lot of avid boaters who say the first thing they look at on a boat is the engines. I think I've come to the realization where I'd go one step further on a future purchase and state that the fuel system would be the very first thing I pay attention to (engines coming in a close 2nd).

I've also heard a lot of bad news about the quality of gas in the US. Here in Canada - we don't carry the same ethanol laws, so ours is apparently a bit better from your standard pumps... can anyone expand on this a bit (gas varnishing your tank, causing corrosion, causing systems to gum up?).
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:25 pm

So, Jeremy, what did you with your guk'ed up tank?

Can these tanks be "repaired" or rejuvenated, or should they simply be replaced with modern plastic tanks that don't have these kinds of issues?
John Stolte
1967 Chris Craft Crusader 36'
"Voyager"
1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 21'

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

JimESmith

Post by JimESmith » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:41 pm

I just finished cleaning, flushing, and sealing a fuel tank from a 1966 Mustang. I used the products on this website:
http://www.tanksealer.com/tank-sealer-information.html

There are other similar ones out there as well. The sealer leaves a very hard metallic like finish on the inside of the tank.

Jim

#71826 "Barrel Aged"

evansjw44

Fuel Tanks

Post by evansjw44 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:17 pm

My '67 35' Corintian doesn't seem to have fuel tank issues. They're galvanized steel. But in the mid 60s my father's '63 had galvanizing issues. I would have to celan the carbs twice a season. I carried a can of gum-out at all time. The sandy junk would get past the washer style filters and plug up the idle jets. 238s done run well with one idle jet plugged. They run like anemic 4 cylinder. They hadn't invented the spin on fuel filter yet.

But my big spin on filters always seem to be clean. No I don't fill the tanks over the winter. I just burn them down to 1/4 then dry gas and Stabil. I don't want the weight of full tanks.

To get the tanks out of my boat I'm pretty sure step 1 is remove aft deck. On the '58 30' skiff I had I pulled the tanks out through the lazerette hatch.

I have a friend with a '72 31' Bertram and he's going to have to cut his fiberglass tank out and put in a new stainless tank. The alcohol in our blended fuel is eating up his tanks.