Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Starting on the dry?

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

chriscraftrick

Starting on the dry?

Post by chriscraftrick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Just wanted to ask. I have heard about hooking up a hose to start the engine on the dry. I would like to turn over and start my engine on the trailer. I have heard the water possibly could bi-pass the cooling system. What is the procedure or recommendations to do this. What are the chances of engine damage and how long could you run an engine this way. Would the water just blow out the exhaust. How much water needs to run through. Many questions. Thanks !!!

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:30 am

Chriscraftrick, good morning: I have gone to a launch ramp many times and backed the boat in far enough to submerge the cooling water pick-up, and ran the motor well into the warm range. Just go when it is not busy, keep everybody happy. I leave the winch strap attached, but release the rear strap over the stern.
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

jtodd398

RE starting on the dry

Post by jtodd398 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 am

I use a "fake-a-lake" to run on the the trailer as does at least one well known engine shop. Works fine and is available at most marine supply stores. Got mine from Overtons.
John Todd
Presto, 54 Riviera #18 1068