Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Pertronix Ignition

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

j_hart

Pertronix Ignition

Post by j_hart » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 am

I am considering installing a Pertronix Ignition system on a 1939, IXBM5 Hercules (C-C),4 cyl, 60 HP engine. Anyone with experience or comments?

cenger

Post by cenger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 am

It is a very easy conversion kit that only takes about 5mins to install. I have found that my engine starts much easier with the electronic ignition.

Hizer314

Post by Hizer314 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am

I installed it on my Chrysler 318 V8, Graymarine Phantom 4 75hp, and now have it on my CC KBL. I love it for the easy starts and especially for those days when you feel sooo far away from your home dock and you pray gremlins don't attack your engine.

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:06 pm

Another vote here---my 283 starts right up.
Chris Hall

1959 18' Continental

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 pm

I installed it on the Razz also. Its trouble free and does the job. Installation is easy. Good luck.
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:07 pm

Hello J_Hart,

I put one on my KL 105 H.P. opting to buy a complete e-distributor from Classic Boat Connection so I would have the old as a spare and as origional technology if/when I sell (for a larger boat of course!) The good news is that the first one failed in about 3 hours and both Classic and Pertronix helped with a replacement pronto. I was told that like most other electronics, if you get past 10 hours, your good. Anything flawed shows up in just a few hours. I think it runs and starts better and having played with moisture and other issues in old distributors over the years, this is the way to go- eliminating more moving parts,especially electrical around water.

I do not know about any scoring points issues if you show and get judged. Could some one reply to that please?

Good luck

Charles Wilson in Sandpoint, Idaho
"The fender guy" in Idaho.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Charles, I thought of you when I found the term "Bumpers" on my '48 17' Deluxe Hull Card. It was delivered with 8 small cleats but they must have been for the Full Canvas Cover in Extra Equipment.

The K engine in the Deluxe has electronic ignition parts. It will be a while before she sees much water though.

Al

mrb engine

Post by mrb engine » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:56 pm

john stick with thr old points and conenser.
Mr. B's Engine
281-574-4537

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 am

Charles,
Re show points/scoring- It depends on which show. Some boat shows are more closely judged than others.

The Pertronix has two wires out of the distributor vs. one wire (to the coil) with points. Also, Pertronix doesn't use the condenser. If engine judges are looking for "as from the factory" the Pertronix will get a deduction of X point(s).

The simple fix is a second (stock) distributor. Switching from performance (Pertronix) to show (points/condenser) won't take five minutes.

Good luck
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:44 am

I'm sure the judges would rather not see the additional wire, and this is a real issue if you are in a boat show with that kind of intensity. However, for the guy who would rather experience less pain on the water, the Pertronix is a great upgrade.

I recently had a pair of 427 distributors rebuilt at Mallory, because I was having drivability issues. I was running Mallory (Unilite) electronic ignition at the time, and I converted them back to original points. It turned out to be a bad move for me. They came back with new crab caps and rotors. The new rotors (probably sourced out of the Pacific Rim or Mexico) didn't fit under the crab caps and I had to grind off some material. Later, the poor quality contact points didn't do much for me either.

I converted to the Pertronix ignition system, took only about 20 minutes per motor, and have not touched them in what seems like three years now. It's the best thing you can do for a vintage motor, short of using the best oil you can find.

The magnetic pick-up is far superior to the old contact points that tend to corrode and pick up any small speck of dust and turn it into a burn spot.

If your boat is sitting at the dock being judged, go for the originality. If you're out there running the boat and you want reliability (and enhanced safety) go with the Pertronix. Although I have only heard of one or two of these going bad, like all electronic devices they do have a life span, and it may be a good idea to carry a spare.

I have not done this conversion on a Hercules, but I imagine it's as simple as the other motors I've worked on, and have heard being converted to this system. Be sure you purchase it from someone who knows the vintage boats, and will steer you to the right product. Also be sure you RETAIN your ballast resistor if your boat came with one originally.

Just my two and a half cents worth.....may I now have a ladder please! :-) (to get down off my soap box?)

Regards, Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Skip Saunders

Petronix Ignition

Post by Skip Saunders » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:32 pm

Does anyone have the correct model 3 for a 283 engine?
I would appreciate it
Skip Saunders
24' 1963 Sea Skiff
17' 1967 Century Resorter

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Early V8 Chris Crafts use at least 2 Prestolite distributors

Post by Paul P » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 pm

I recently purchased the Pertronix #1582 kit from an internet ventor who claimed it would fit all V8 models from 1963 to 1971 with the Prestolite distributor.

Guess what? It didn't fit my 1966 327F.

Come to find out, there are more than one Prestolite distributor in the Chris Craft tool box. Since I have returned the item to the guy, who promises to send me the right product, I can't say for sure what I'm passing on here is true or not. I will follow up upon receipt, however, with photos, etc.

As it turns out, CC apparently used a #IBM 4115 or an IBM 4116 Prestolite. Mine is a 4115. The Pertronix kit number 1582 will NOT fit this distributor; the module will fit nicely, but the magnetic shield and the rotor don't work together. I understand the 1581 kit is what I need for the IBM 4115.

In case anyone out there is looking for parts for a Prestolite IBM 4115, here are some cross references from NAPA

NAPA rotor AL-139

NAPA distributor cap AL- 138

Here is a photo of the offending parts, the rotor is a stock Prestolite part, and the magnetic shield simply will not fit the outside shaft dimension on this rotor (which has a slight taper), nor will the rotor nest into this plastic part like it should.
I am reasonably sure I could have modified everything to work, but decided to send it back and get the right parts. I understand the 1581 kit comes with it's own rotor. Stay tuned. I'll report back in a couple weeks after snailmail takes care of the return and new parts.

If your 283 is the 283F version, then you may use the same Prestolite I have referenced here. Check the side of the distributor and find out what you have, and then my advice is to trade with someone who knows Chris Craft boats, and let them know what distributor you have !!

regards,

Paul 8)
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Roger Smith

Pertronix Ignition

Post by Roger Smith » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:43 pm

For what it's worth -- contact Pertronix directly in California (see their website) for answers to questions, etc. They were extremely helpful to me when a vendor sold me the wrong kit and wouldn't take it back. In fact they told me to ship my distributor to them, along with the incorrect kit and they would fix it. They did -- refurbishing my distributor, installing the correct kit and bench testing it for me. I've not had that level of service from anyone in years! And -- it only cost me the postage. A great company!

davewann

Re: Pertronix Ignition

Post by davewann » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Good Evening - My first post in a while, I hope I get it right!!

Looking for springs for my 1964 Prestolite IBB 4301-A distributors. Making the conversion to the Pertronix 1851LS and want to renew the springs. Any recommendations on where to find them?

I appreciate any help