Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

KFL won't start after it sits for 20 mins

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

L76

KFL won't start after it sits for 20 mins

Post by L76 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm

Hi All!

New to Boat Buzz. First post!

Boat runs fine (3,000 RPM on Lake Tahoe @ 6500 feet elevation)... but after I shut it off for 20 mins (or more)... it won't start. I eventually get it back running (after alot of fussing with choke/throttle... 20 mins of frustration... and *GULP* actually pulling the plugs and dropping some fuel in the chambers). Once it is back running my engine power is cut so bad that I can only achieve 1400-1600 RPMs. Not fun.

BOAT = 1948 CC Deluxe Runabout with KFL 131hp motor and 2 Zenith carbs. Stock ignition with points. Problem happens every time I take it out. Rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, aligned linkages, cleaned out the entire fuel delivery system, and messed with ignition timing. The problem has happened pre (and post) carb rebuild. Pre (and post) fuel pump rebuild. Pre (and post) ignition timing adjustments.

I am flummoxed. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dennis - L76
1948 Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout
Spends her time in Tahoe

L76

Re: KFL won't start after it sits for 20 mins

Post by L76 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Think I solved 1/2 of this. Dialed in more advance with distributor, realized fuel pump wasn’t providing fuel (fixed), and solved the re-start issue. Have not solved low revs under load though. Can’t exceed 1500rpm in forward. Reverse will pull up to whatever I want but it makes a lot of racket. I’m wondering if my transmission is bogging the motor down (eg like being in a high gear on a bike)?
Spends her time in Tahoe

L76

Re: KFL won't start after it sits for 20 mins

Post by L76 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:32 pm

UPDATE - see my other post on low power in cylinders 4, 5, and 6. She is now running strong…albeit with high oil pressure. Think my not starting issue was condenser/hot coil.

Cheers,
L76
Spends her time in Tahoe