Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Re-power 283/MRD "283" with Marine 350

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Jeff

Re-power 283/MRD "283" with Marine 350

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 pm

I've a 1964 19' Sea Skiff Sportsman, original engine & configuration (one rebuild back in 2010).
Water entered the system through a failed manifold gasket and the engine is very sick (I kept power on it for over an hour into the trouble to get home). The subsequent leak down test was dismal. Very low compressions (30s) and indicating at least rings, if not cracked block. The #3 piston ruptured the left head. And so on...

Anyone have a decent 283 for sale that can be shipped? If I can get my hands on a good one I'd be content. But they seem extraordinarily scarce.

For years I've heard the suggestion to re-power with a Marine built 350. Am seriously considering it. Anyone have a decent 350 for sale that can be shipped?

If anyone has been down this road, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers and known pitfalls.

Thanks

Here's the existing system (before I took it apart to clean the water out of it - its in several piles now).
893707_10152109058567756_3752600573462403083_o.jpg
Jeff Light
1964 19' Sea Skiff Sportsman
Perseverance
Woodville, VA

Jeff

Re: Re-power 283/MRD "283" with Marine 350

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Update: after searching for a replacement 283 and a marine 350, decision made to build a marine 350 at my local speed shop. Will take it one step at a time, calling around for advice from boat experts as necessary, and hope to be back at the dock by the end of August.

Hoping all the support items (starter, water pump, transmission etc… will go on that block without issue (as I’ve heard said). Also hoping it fits when I reinstall and that it lines up perfectly with the shaft. Reviewing related posts here on boat buzz for pointers.

Taking the entire assembly out of the boat and over to the shop so we see what’s needed and can transfer items as we go. Will bring the carburetor in a separate box so it doesn’t get damaged in the process.

Good engines are very hard to find at this time. I understand a lot were sold nationwide as scrap when recent prices for scrap were up. Whatever the reason for scarcity, I will have the 283 block inspected for cracks and will save all parts deemed worth saving in case someone can use them in the future.
Jeff Light
1964 19' Sea Skiff Sportsman
Perseverance
Woodville, VA