Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1941 K Distributor Cap and Rotor

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Ravenswood

1941 K Distributor Cap and Rotor

Post by Ravenswood » Tue May 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Hello,
I have a 1941 18' Deluxe Utility with a K motor. The distributor is an Autolite IGW4149 (external capacitor). Changing over to Pertronix so don't need points and condenser, but what is the correct Napa part number for the distributor cap and rotor?
Thanks,
Al Waddell
Hayden, ID

ice nine

Re: 1941 K Distributor Cap and Rotor

Post by ice nine » Thu May 07, 2020 8:38 am

Hi Al,
The NAPA part for the distributor is AL59. Rotor is AL32. I would highly recommend not installing a Pertronix. I had one that worked perfectly for a year and a half. (this was an older one) Then I started to have phantom problems. First I could not get the engine to start. We did everything to fix that, and finally replaced the pertronix, and completely fixed that issue. But the following week, the boat would start, but would not accelerate. Changed it out again, and that fixed it. But then had problems with high speed. I had several top engine guys on this, and we went through the engine from Rebuilding all three of my carbs, to fuel pumps, spark plugs, wires, timing, etc. etc. It took us 2 years to diagnose the Pertronix as the problem (after three different modules). Put points back in and it runs perfectly. Pertronix offshored some of their components several years ago, and I cannot tell you how many people I have talked to that will not put this in their boat including all of my engine guys. I really wish it would work, but it doesn't. And the funny thing is all three caused different problems, so it makes it almost impossible to diagnose. Good luck. David

steve bunda

Post by steve bunda » Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Yup, the pertronixs can have phantom problems and give a boat owner fits. I have learned from my mentor Jim Anderson from Hartland that a good clean set of points, a good condenser , working distributor ,cap, wires, etc. and charged up battery is all you need for care free boating. Heck the engines have worked his way for 40 to 80 years , so why mess with perfection?

davidvn

Post by davidvn » Sun May 10, 2020 5:50 pm

The 12 V per Tronics module in the I GW distributor works quite well and reliably. The 6 V version has problems because the module Ceases to function properly at 5 V. The 6 volt version is also susceptible to noise coming from the Generator. We have come up with ways around that however your best luck will be using a 12 V per Tronics or staying with points if you’re running six volts

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 am

I have had pertronix on my ‘38 KA for 10 years without any problem. (Original 6 volt system). I have heard that some people have had issues in the conversion as mentioned in this post. It has the benefit that you don’t have to mess with points, etc. after converting (assuming It works ok). So I am glad I did it.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Ravenswood

Post by Ravenswood » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks to all of you for replying to my previous post. Looks like I'm giving up on the Pertronix. Actually never got the engine running with it and went back to the original points. So, if anybody can give me the Napa (Echlin) part number for the points that would be greatly appreciated.
Al

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:06 am

I don't have any numbers for the Napa but the Standard number is AL-5661X. It's probably the same box but Napa has there own numbers for some reason.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout