Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Air in fuel bowl

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tparsons56

Air in fuel bowl

Post by tparsons56 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Last weekend on a cruise the M engine died when I pulled back to idle. I flooded the engine trying to get it restarted and had to be towed back. On inspection I had about 1/4” of air in the top of the bowl so I assumed the old gasket was leaking. I got a new gasket from Fine Wood Boats (thanks Jim!) and replaced it today along with cleaning the fine screen at the top. The engine fired right up but I noticed air coming in spurts through the center hole at the top. The air would puddle and then dissapate and another spurt of air would come through. I checked the fuel line connections (the fuel lines and tank were replaced in 2016) and they seem tight with no leaks.
Anyone have this issue before? I have about 5/8 of gas in tank.

drrot

Re: Air in fuel bowl

Post by drrot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:35 pm

It's normal. There is a small jet on the suction line in the tank. You are sucking air through the jet.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

tparsons56

Re: Air in fuel bowl

Post by tparsons56 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks Jim. To be honest I have never heard of a jet in the suction line of the tank.

A crazy side note to this story is that the engine died 10' from the breakwall in front of the Coast Guard Station In Charlevoix. I was trying to get someone's attention so I could toss a line and tie up to investigate but there was no one around so I called them on the phone. A very nice young man told us they are legally not allowed to assist unless under duress so we would have to call someone else for a tow. Then to add insult to injury a sailboat came by and asked if they could give us a tow!
My buddy came and got us so everything worked out and I will say that everyone on the water was helpful & friendly that day. I guess because we've all been there.