Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

283 vintage question

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

Post Reply
User avatar
Jim Godlewski
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

283 vintage question

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Hello All,
I cant seem to fine any info on serial numbers and years for the 283's.
Can someone tell me what vintage this engine is? The number on the plate is 830446.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

jwmccman
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:03 am

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by jwmccman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 am

According to the Chris Craft Engine records that I have, your model 283 S/N 830446
was built during the 1963 model year

User avatar
drrot
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: McHenry, IL 60050
Contact:

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by drrot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 am

WOW!! Hows that for not having to wait a year for the Museum to open :D
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com


1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

User avatar
Jim Godlewski
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by Jim Godlewski » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:38 am

jwmccman wrote:According to the Chris Craft Engine records that I have, your model 283 S/N 830446
was built during the 1963 model year
Thank you very much and welcome to the club!
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

User avatar
Jim Godlewski
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by Jim Godlewski » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am

drrot wrote:WOW!! Hows that for not having to wait a year for the Museum to open :D
Doesn't get any better then that! Love this place...
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

jim g
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by jim g » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm

I was going to say 63 or 64 because thats when the alternator started.

User avatar
Jim Godlewski
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Now that I have an engine I'm going to get started on gauge restoration. Is this the electronic oil pressure sending unit? I need to advise if the oil pressure gauge needs to be electronic, and assume for this engine it does?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

jim g
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by jim g » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Jim Godlewski wrote:Now that I have an engine I'm going to get started on gauge restoration. Is this the electronic oil pressure sending unit? I need to advise if the oil pressure gauge needs to be electronic, and assume for this engine it does?
Thanks.
Thats the oil pressure sender for the gauges Chris Craft used staring around 1957 or 1958. You can use your original mechanical gauges on the 283. You do not have to use the later electric ones.

User avatar
Jim Godlewski
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 am

jim g wrote:
Jim Godlewski wrote:Now that I have an engine I'm going to get started on gauge restoration. Is this the electronic oil pressure sending unit? I need to advise if the oil pressure gauge needs to be electronic, and assume for this engine it does?
Thanks.
Thats the oil pressure sender for the gauges Chris Craft used staring around 1957 or 1958. You can use your original mechanical gauges on the 283. You do not have to use the later electric ones.
How would a mechanical oil pressure gauge hook up the this engine? Is that a better way to go over the electronic gauge?

I wish I could use the original but I do not have it. I have to have them made up. The boat I'm working on is a 1930 model 100 with the three hole grape leaf gauge panel. I need all gauges to be remade for this boat.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

jim g
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by jim g » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 am

I would use whichever is the least expensive to have made. If your having reproductions of the originals made.

As far as hooking up a mechanical oil gauge. You would just run the copper tubing to were the oil sender is and connect it to the pipe the oil sender is screwed into.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Jim Godlewski
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

Re: 283 vintage question

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks Jim,
Very helpful. The photo is perfect and a nice looking example too.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests