Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Zebra Mussels

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

John DeVries

Zebra Mussels

Post by John DeVries » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:27 am

Is anyone out there who does their boating in zebra mussel infected waters concerned about eggs, larvae, or developed mussels depositing themselves on the walls of the engine cooling passages and limiting water flow through the system? The owner of a boat that I just hauled out and will be winterizing asked about a possible zebra mussel "treatment". The parts of his hoist that are underwater have a fairly heavy coating of the mussels.

The engine is a big-block Ford which runs about 20° cooler than the 143° the manual says is the standard operating temperature. I think that 140° water is required to kill the mussels in any stage of development.

The owner also asked about a Potassium Chloride soaking prior to running the RV antifreeze in.

Thank you very much for any information that can be supplied.

John

joanroy

Re: Zebra Mussels

Post by joanroy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:09 am

I've flushed with Salt-Away prior to winterizing with antifreeze. I don't t know what you'd use to treat an engine cooling exhaust for zebra mussels. I doubt a living organism could live and take hold inside an engine that's being run regularly. Pretty harsh environment for any critter.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:36 pm

I boat exclusively in a Zebra Zone and I haven't seen any problems in the cooling system. I agree that inside an engine is a harsh environment for any critters.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Ain't got any

cc-woodboats

Post by cc-woodboats » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:51 am

the problem with zebra mussels starts when the boat sits in the water unused for extended periods of time.
then the larva will enter the cooling system and grow into an adult. then the cooling intake and engine passages are full of shells. starting and running the engine will kill them but the shells remain,restricting the water flow.
I don't know what will dissolve the shells other than muratic acid.

John DeVries

Post by John DeVries » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Thank you for the input.

The owner of the the boat lives in Washington state and the boat is here in NW Iowa (Okoboji). The owner is here two weeks each the summer, but through a sharing agreement, the boat can be in the hoist for most of the summer and used pretty infrequently. That was the set of circumstances that has the owner worried that the cooling passages could be exposed to the mussels.

John

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:42 am

As we fiercely guard against these in Washington State, I sincerely hope the "owner" eradicates them before putting that boat in our waters.

John DeVries

Post by John DeVries » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:30 am

If you read the previous post, the boat stays here - it has never been to Washington state.

After reading more than one report of infected boats being intercepted at loading ramps in your state, it's probably safe to say it's only a matter of time . . .

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:36 am

It may be only a matter of time....but we are fighting the intrusion more than other areas.

John DeVries

Post by John DeVries » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:08 am

It appears that there's probably not much more in the way of actual facts/information to be gotten out of this post so, Over & Out.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Lake George NY is fighting Zebra Mussels, Asian Clams, Milfoil, and other invasive species very aggressively. We now have mandatory boat inspections at all launch ramps (Lake George is 32 miles long.)

I'm not sure whether we are winning or postponing, but it has been a very pro-active program. Unfortunately, the geese and other wild fowl do not pass thru these inspection stations.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Are there any good recipes? If so they could be licensed as a game species, and then sold for $12.95 lb.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Doug P wrote:Are there any good recipes? If so they could be licensed as a game species, and then sold for $12.95 lb.
They are pretty small, it takes a lot of them to make a meal. :lol:
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.