Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Generator Overcharging

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

beancounter

Generator Overcharging

Post by beancounter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:33 pm

As part of the 6V to 12V conversion, I had my generator converted by a very reputable company that works on a lot of old marine engines. I replaced the coil and installed all new wiring and had a friend who did the same thing to his boat help me. When I accelerate the engine, my amp gauge needle hits the + 20 amp max. Eventually, it will blow my 25 amp fuse in the fuse block. I took it back to the company that rebuilt it and it tested out fine. All wires on the generator circuit are 10 ga. I attached a crude diagram of my current generator circuit. I ran a wire from the starter solenoid to the left side of the Amp Ga. Then a wire from the right side of the Ga to the Positive Bus Bar of the circuit box. Then a wire from the positive side of the circuit box to the cutout switch on top of the generator. I took off the cut-off switch cove and the points were not stuck together. For my negative side, I ran the negative batt. cable to the engine block and ran a wire from the engine block to the negative bus bar on the circuit block. All of my grounds are good. Any ideas?? Thanx.
Attachments
Generator Circuit.pdf
(31.23 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

evansjw44

Re: Generator Overcharging

Post by evansjw44 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:50 pm

First, is the generator one that uses a "third" brush for voltage regulation or does it use a voltage regulator in the cut-out box. The clue I see is that you show only one wire from the generator to the system. That suggest it is a "third brush" generator. The output of a "third brush" generator is related to the generator RPM (engine RPM) and the position of the "third brush'. The problem you have is likely that the "third brush" needs to be adjusted to reduce the output. The third brush it located under to the cover of the generator (near the rear bearing). You would be better off replacing the generator with one that external voltage regulator.
Jim Evans

beancounter

Post by beancounter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:18 am

Jim, thanx for the info. So how do I "Adjust" the third brush if I want to reduce the output??

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am

This is one style of generator, my Chrysler has a bolt that you loosen up..
I wold put it in the center of the adjustment and test. Sounds like it is all the way one way.

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... ent#p43741