Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CC spotlight advice

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jfrprops

CC spotlight advice

Post by jfrprops » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:12 am

PC290288.JPG
Help with my One Mile Ray old Chris Craft spotlight??? It is in nearly perfect shape and will look great on my Fairchild Scout 30....but after spot soaking the round head nut visible on the rear of the unit...I wrung it off....inside the housing.
I got the ring off the face side that held in the lens....and it appears to also hold the reflector in????? really tight fit.....I have carefully wedged in a knife blade all the way around the edge of the reflector...but it won't budge out??? Don't want to mess this up.......what does that wrung off nut connect to? How do you crack open this egg?
any tips welcomed.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Re: CC spotlight advice

Post by Al Benton » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:42 am

John, that appears to be the same type that I had on my Connie. I had it apart 6 or 7 years ago but can't remember any details now. I remember that all was a tight fit and possibly had some corrosion that had to be broken loose before the reflector part came out. After cleaning and polishing all the parts it went back together and worked better than ever. Maybe some penetrating oil around the rim will help loosen things.
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Al, thanks...good to hear from you.

I got the reflector out and found a site on the web, a Commander site I had never encountered before, where a fellow had done the conversion to the modern socket and bulb...the original equipment bulb costing now $135.......

So I expect to have this up and going soon.

Hope you will be in Tavares?

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Good to hear, John. Will you be doing the bulb and socket conversion? Sounds like a no-brainer at that original bulb cost. Which Commander site did you visit? There are at least two of them.

Yes, looking forward to the Sunnyland Antique Boat Festival in Tavares in March. Hope to see you there and hear more about your cruiser. It looks awesome.
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:45 pm

Happy New Year Al and all!

content to use the new age guts for this classic spotlight if possible...they are coming soon.

I am going to spend New Years Eve on my classic cruiser....GOING BOATING! 60 degress.....

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30