Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Riviera Fuel Level Sensor Electrical Resistance

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Don Vogt, Al Benton

Riviera Wish

Riviera Fuel Level Sensor Electrical Resistance

Post by Riviera Wish » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:27 am

I want to purchase a Moeller fuel level sensor / sender to use in conjunction with the original 6 volt fuel gage on a 1952 CC
Riviera. In selecting the fuel sender the range of sender resistance in ohms is a selection criteria. The sender is set up for 12 volts.
Here are the questions for any electrical engineers in the audience, or other knowledgeable members:
What was the resistance range of the original 6 volt fuel level sensor on the '52 Riviera?
What resistance range should be selected for a 12 volt Moeller sensor to be used in conjunction with the original 6 volt fuel gage
fitted with a voltage drop device?
Would the "selected" resistance range for the Moeller sensor be the same if the Riviera were converted to a 12 volt electrical system?

Any advice regarding selection of a fuel level sensor for the 1952 Riviera would be appreciated.
BTW the Moeller fuel sensors are available on ebay for about $55 including shipping; cost is a factor.

Steve

jim g

Re: Riviera Fuel Level Sensor Electrical Resistance

Post by jim g » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:47 pm

You need to call Mark Clawson at Clawson Classic Instruments. He has the correct 6 volt sender for your for your gauge. He also makes a drop resistor for the 6 volt gauge if your going to run a 12 volt system.

sproat3

Post by sproat3 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:16 pm

I've copied my post below to a similar question raised last month.

Fuel level sender units are variable resistors attached to floats or magnetic reed switches. They'll work with either 6 or 12 volts DC. The key is to be able to calibrate the sender unit with your gauge.
In my case, I replaced the old original sender unit with a new Moeller stainless steel magnetic reed switch sender with a resistance of 33-240 ohms which is standard. (Check out their website and call their tech support. They're very helpful.)To calibrate it with my original Chris Craft 1960 Capri fuel gauge, I installed a small electronic module under the dash between the sender and the gauge. The module is the Fuel Gauge Wizard I found on eBay. It took about 20 minutes to calibrate (before you put the sending unit in the tank). It works very well and I'm getting accurate fuel level readings on the gauge. (Need to get the anti-slosh option). It needs 12VDC as a power source , but it doesn't care if your gauge was originally on a 6 or 12 VDC system.
Ward Sproat
1960 Chris Craft Capri (Tahoe Heidi)

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Thank you Jim and Ward for your comments and advice.
Just got off the phone with Mark Clauson, ordered a calibrated fuel level sensor for my Riviera. Cost was $68 + shipping.
Calculated cost of the Moeller level sensor plus the Fuel Gage Wizard would have exceeded $145 including shipping.
Problem solved!

Steve