Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Starter Relay Problems

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

bongocruiser

Starter Relay Problems

Post by bongocruiser » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:57 pm

So I have a 1942 Chris Craft Special with a model K Herc. The first Starter relay/solenoid lasted the first 35 years I owned the boat until the end of last season. The symptom was that after turning off the starter button, the starter would keep running and I had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. Electrical continuity across the big terminals with all wires disconnected. So I replaced it with a "new" one from NAPA and it lasted about 1 month, so I replaced it again and it lasted about 1 week, and about 10 minutes ago it happened again after only 2 boat runs. Just to be sure I also put a new starter button in the boat before this happened.

So here is my question, Am I getting a batch old defective starter solenoid/relays from NAPA (they are made in China) or is there something I'm doing to make them blow. I have a 6V battery and 6V starter, everything is 6V. I was cranking for about 45 seconds-would that do it?

Thanks
Joe Oliver
Lake Winola

jim g

Re: Starter Relay Problems

Post by jim g » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 pm

bongocruiser

Post by bongocruiser » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:03 pm

I found a NOS stock one I'm going to try.

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:45 pm

I'd have the starter tested. It might have shorted turns in the field windings that would cause it to draw excessive current that welds the solenoid contacts.
Jim Evans

bongocruiser

Post by bongocruiser » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:52 pm

Once I put in a NOS solenoid it worked fine. I think the China made ones at NAPA were my problem.