Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

6 volt generator adjustment

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

Theurkauf

6 volt generator adjustment

Post by Theurkauf » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm running a 6 volt system with an autolite generator on a model B engine, and the output seems on the low side. At 1000 rpm and above, the amp meter show a steady deflection of maybe 20% toward full 20 amps charge, so 4 amps? I'm not sure what the meter should read, but I thought these generators produced around 10 amps. So I have 2 questions. 1. Is my output actually low? 2. If it is, how do I adjust the output/3rd bush? I understand that you are suppose to move the brush in the direction of rotation to increase output, but I can't see any way to move any of the brushes. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

B that way, the battery is new and freshly charged and the engine start right up, but I'd like to deal with any problems before I'm faced with a dead battery.

Thanks,

Bill

dreed

Post by dreed » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 am

I think you are OK as is. I have a six volt system and what you are describing is exactly what mine has always done, and I've never had a problem.
1953 CC Riviera 18-R-927

Theurkauf

Post by Theurkauf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks. I won't try to tweak it too much. As for the adjustment, we have a saying in Massachustts: "Light dawns on Marblehead!" I was looking for some sort of locking screw inside the generator, and it ain't there, as many of you probably know. Just in case there are other "rock heads" out there, here goes: Slightly loosen the 2 screw that go all the way through the generator and hold it together. Loosen the screw holding the band at the back of the generator covering the brushes (has name plate on it) and pull it back. The middle brush is right there on top and moves easily with a push of a screw driver. Adjust as needed, replace band, tighten through screws. Done in a few minutes.