Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Not sure what this pump is

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

debiby

Not sure what this pump is

Post by debiby » Wed May 16, 2012 7:22 pm

I pulled a cover in the rear bedroom floor looking for the rear bilge pump, is that what this is? It has a valve on it that says 1 and 2, one hose goes to the back of the boat, one to a thru hull in the bottom and one towards the front of the boat, haven't traced that hose yet and the other hose has some kind of fitting on the end. I am new to cruisers this large so can someone please tell me what this set up is for?

Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Thu May 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Could be an old washdown pump setup. Take it all out... the hose is either wrong, or just plain old.

doubleboater

Pump?

Post by doubleboater » Fri May 18, 2012 5:40 am

Or it could be a fresh water flush if the previous owners had the boat in salty or muddy water....

debiby

Post by debiby » Fri May 18, 2012 10:44 pm

It was in the great lakes. I will have to trace the lines and see what is on the other ends and also find a switch that makes it come on I just was hopeing some one has seen something like this.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

Capn Taz

Post by Capn Taz » Mon May 21, 2012 11:23 am

It's really hard to tell by the pictures, but the thoughts that come to mind are possibly a mascerator pump, see if the hoses to go a holding tank or head. Or possibly a wash down pump, see if a hose goes to a garden hose type fitting for washing the decks. That's the only idea's I have.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Just purchased my first Chris, 1959 conqueror - It's going to be an interesting ride!

debiby

Post by debiby » Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 pm

You may be on to something I will check and see. Took the pics with my phone and they came out a little blurry sorry.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

debiby

Post by debiby » Sat May 26, 2012 11:10 pm

I think I figured it out, it is for the AC. One line is going to a thru hull in the bottom of the boat, one to the fresh water tank and the other is just lying in the bottom of the hull the the other is going to the AC.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

debiby

Post by debiby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 am

Found a guy a the local boat shop that knew all about this set up, it is for the ac and the valve is for if the pump gets air locked. The one hose I thought went to fresh water just goes up into the transum and hooks to nothing the other one in the bildge is so the water can rrun out of it as it is below the waterline. I will see in a couple of days how this works once I go to start the ac system when we get her in the water. Makes sense now that someone has explained it to me.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

debiby

Post by debiby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 am

Found a guy a the local boat shop that knew all about this set up, it is for the ac and the valve is for if the pump gets air locked. The one hose I thought went to fresh water just goes up into the transum and hooks to nothing the other one in the bildge is so the water can rrun out of it as it is below the waterline. I will see in a couple of days how this works once I go to start the ac system when we get her in the water. Makes sense now that someone has explained it to me.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

Yup...its your ac cooling exchanger pump. Be sure the intake side has a strainer on it and keep the strainer clean.I have 2 on my '56 Connie 47' and I am on the Mississippi river...during high water the strainers clog quickly.
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.