Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Generator charging 15 volts

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

trebot

Generator charging 15 volts

Post by trebot » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Have 12 volt system. New solid state regulator and point/condenser ignition. Charges around 15 volts on regular basis. Should I be worried?

mbigpops

Re: Generator charging 15 volts

Post by mbigpops » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:00 am

What is your engine ?
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

trebot

Post by trebot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:26 pm

My engine is a KL

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:23 pm

Okay so the exact voltage depends on your battery type (e.g. lead acid, AGM, etc.).

You can google your type and recommended charging voltage but I did not see anything over 14.4V DC as a recommendation.

The good news is that you can adjust the generator voltage yourself. It is not that difficult and I had the opposite problem (low voltage) and did mine. I have only done this once.

You will need a few hand tools and whatever you used to measure the 15V DC.

I have attached a photo to help but all you need to do is remove the band around the end of the generator. Once you do this it will expose a cavity into the generator and you will see a spring assembly inside which is the 3rd brush. You should be able to slide it in either direction by using a screwdriver (engine not running). In my case I slid it toward the flywheel to increase the voltage so you could try the other direction to reduce it.

Just make sure that your cutout relay still kicks in as it is based on the voltage and if you go too low you may not charge your battery with the relay staying open.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Attachments
Looking down into Generator 3rd brush for Buzz.jpg
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

trebot

Post by trebot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:58 pm

My Gen has a separate voltage regulator. Did some research and tried to adjust the regulator. Actually, it was quite simple with a mechanical regulator. Got the voltage steady at 14 volts.