Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

I'm Back with a new old boat

Although not a Division, this area is for information unique to Chris-Craft Constellations.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

BrokenRule2

I'm Back with a new old boat

Post by BrokenRule2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 pm

After I sold Broken Rule, 1961 32' Connie, last year I though I was done. However, after a hot summer and no boat on the water to escape to I felt the need. But I'm a cheap skate so I started looking at single engine 25 - 29 foot Chris Crafts from 1978-1980. They would not do. I put in an offer on a 37' Silverton and got beat. I gave up as every boat was too nice and out of my budget or the owner wanted way too much.

There was one that had been for sale a long time and got to a really low price so the Admiral and I went and looked at it. We moved on as it needed too much for the low asking price. The yard owner said it has been for sale for two years and had to go or it was going to get cut up. I was the most serious buyer coming in with insurance and a place that would accept an old wood boat.

To make a long story short we got to a price of nothing, which is more than I wanted to spend. I wanted the owner to kick in for part of the bottom repair equal to what it would cost to dispose of the boat. The Admiral liked the boat and said since it was my birthday she would take it for free and give it to me as a gift. I then find out it would be cut up at the end of this month if the owner and I did not come to terms...

Here is "Lucky Girl" as named by the Admiral after her dearly departed rescue dog. She has rescued this boat and so named it.

I'll keep you posted on one of the rules not to be broken, don't take a free boat. However, you could say I stuck by my rule by not buying another boat!

1959 40' Connie with 454's floats and runs. Will need numerous bottom planks replaced and completely new decks - open to options for the new decks. Boat was bought on auction from Tennessee and shipped to California some ten plus years ago.

Take a tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5yQFcflRVw

I'll keep you posted.
GOPR0045.JPG
as she floats
1959 40' Connie "Lucky Girl" saga of a free boat!

joanroy

Re: I'm Back with a new old boat

Post by joanroy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Congratulations ! I hope the Admiral understands that you only have two options now. Give the boat to someone else or secure large bags of cash and start dumping them into Lucky Girl. She looks pretty hungry. Potentially a beauty and always great to see a old woody saved. Good Luck with Lucky Girl.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 am

Glad to have you back at the nut house! That vid shows a doable project for sure...enviable access, ok topsides, given age, ....I will let you off easy on advice by simply noting you need a much bigger anchor than what is on there.....have at it!
Thanks for trying to save a cruiser...emphasis on the trying.....as I am in trying time (crying???) with mine.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:05 am

Looks much better in the video than in person :shock:

I watch the video and think it is not too bad... then I go out to see her. I think once I get her to marina and spend a month cleaning it will feel better. When I question the accepting a free boat, the Admiral reminds me she got it for free and gave it to me for my birthday. I cannot return the gift.

This time I'm going to plan things out a little better and not try to do everything too fast and get burned out.

I've figured that it will not be to bad, here is why. I got beat out on an offer on a 1983 37' Silverton because I was cheap. Plus, what could a woody boat lover do with a fiberglass boat? Then the Admiral wanted to serious look at a 1987 37' Silverton with all the goodies - @$35K. That one would require payments and tall slip. My rule is not to finance anything that floats or is fast.

So, $15K for the dual work, $10K this winter and $5K next winter - all yard work. $5K for the deck and topside - in materials - labor by me. So $20K dumped in over two years to get a good hull and exterior. She runs great. Could you really find a good 40' boat for $20K?

And just think, the Admiral wants me to fix it up, total expectations that I will have to spend many weekend messing with a boat and not home doing yard work and "stuff" around the house. I'll pay the $20K for that freedom! :D

It will be nice to document it and perhaps give some others support to take on such a project. Or if might be the subject for a support / recover group :P

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:45 am

Thats a good plan and having the Admiral on your side is half the battle. Your lucky the Silverton deal fell through. A true wooden boat guy is never happy with glass. My house has needed paint for five years, but my boat looks great. Life has it's priorities. Keep us posted.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:12 am

WOW! The deck layout is so similar to my '58 38', but being a year and two feet apart that does not surprise me. :D

I love the line chock that I have on the bow of American Beauty, but I sure do envy you for having a windlass.

Keep us posted.
10676349_835211479843520_6455197053519492167_n.jpg
CompDSC07102.jpg
Happy Boating!
ModDSC07247.jpg
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

dag55

Post by dag55 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 am

Just like my 36 Seastrake, saved from cutting up... or "majbrasan" as we say here in Sweden, since we have the old custom of celebrating spring with a large fire (majbrasa) last night of april, where all old junk and debris goes in after tidying upp after the snow have left... A bit of a faded beauty, but useable as I understand, just like mine. I have been living on my boat part of this summer and have been able to take her out for some weekends. It is a good thing to be able to use a restoration project, before going in to full work on it, just to see where the main focus ist to be set! Not allways what caught attention at first sight!!!
Keep the good work up, I think You have a beauty coming up here, with already a lots of charm... :D
Cavalier 36' Seastrake 1967 "CillaGreta III"
http://chris-craft.org/registry/viewboa ... at_id=2318

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm thinking about pulling up the teak on the fore deck and going with Plywood painted white with anti-slip like my last boat (below). I would then have matching teak to make repairs to the side and rear decks. Unless I can find a supply of matching teak to save the fore deck. Has anyone undertaken that?
Attachments
DSC02708.JPG

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Welcome back to the institution! Glad you missed out on that Silverton...they are some ugly boats!
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:02 am

Saving a large cruiser is a whole different animal than doing a Bristol finish museum quality restoration on a runabout. Sometimes there's the need for compromise. If the foredeck is beat,tear it up and do whatever is practical and affordable for you to get it water tight. Lucky Lady has plenty of originality left in her to make this acceptable. The reason so many of the old cruisers are gone is because the decks start to leak and they rot from the top down. You'll still have plenty to do every year without worrying about varnishing your deck. Spend your money on the bottom and get her to where you can use her and enjoy. Who Knows? The next owner might do the Bristol Restoration. At least the boat and the option will still exist. Have Fun!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:40 am

joanroy is right on.......fix it, use it....save it.....maybe the next guy will be a varnish nerd....but there will be a boat from him to practice on because of your basic work.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Hey, Hey....Im one of those varnish nerds! :D
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:26 pm

She is 40'... so there is plenty of varnishing to do even if I R&R the fore deck with painted ply. For the remaining varnishing... I'm willing to share :D

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:53 pm

Naw...ryan....you are varnish royalty!!!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Did not move her over Labor Day Weekend. The yard was to change the impellers and starboard fuel pump. When changing the fuel pump they hit the raw water cooling intake and cracked it. Gal not bronze... I knew it had gate valves and figured that would be changed at the winter haul out. Well the gate valve does not close all the way and the nipple is broken off inside the valve.

I asked when they change the starboard they do the three on the port side. The raw water cooling looks ready to pop!

I cannot understand how people don't learn these things and not put household crap in a boat. :shock:
IMG_1801.jpg
bad
I should have uploaded the video with the trickling of water sound... the sound of fear on and boat in the water :oops:
IMG_1803.jpg
ready to pop; cannot see the gen set intake
So she sits slowly sinking at the yard waiting for the railway and schedule. :roll:

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:45 am

Looks like thru hull fitting replacement has taken the top spot on the must do list. I agree. Those crap fittings should NEVER be used instead of a bronze seacock. Not something to cheap out on. Gotta get the good ones.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:01 am

When I took over AB she had no Seacocks on the engines at all and as far as I can tell never did have any.

Now she has nice bronze Seacocks and strainers. :D

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:23 pm

We made the move.

https://youtu.be/nRZUn3gSoNU

Some leaks when plowing up river - it think from opened planks that dried out above the water line sitting exposed for two years. When we slowed down to 5 MPH it went away. Did 1200-1400RPM and got about 8 MPH We did go up to 1800 for a little but speed did not increase that much for the extra risk of the RPM's. Ran smooth in 40' of water. When we hit 12-18' of water it developed a slight vibration so we dropped to 1200 RPM and it was smooth again. Most likely due to the shallow water.

Gave the bilge pump a work out. Just some observations from the trip while running at the said RPM... exhaust manifold temp was 135 in front and 90 toward the back, exhaust temps on the 4" pipe was 100+/-, shaft packing was 70-80. Temps in degrees.

Unknown prop size. Engines are 454's reduction gear is unknown. draft is 40"

For the next week it will be the upgrade/correction to the electrical systems. I've taken before photos and posted them here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1136153585 ... directlink I'll keep updating the progress so check that site if your interested.

Due to budget issues I need to work with what is there and make the best of it. I think there is more panels than what is needed. However, the battery switching is not what I want. I got two used Perko switches on eBay. I will change it to what I had on Broken Rule and sell of the remaining panels and switches to recover some of the costs. There are remote spot lights that will come off and other little things. This will reduce the electrical demand. I have to keep the windless - but it is not working so it will just look good until then.

Anyhow, just the basic safety stuff until she heads back in Feb 2016 for the haul out. The budget for the bottom is $10K. Starboard aft chime is rotted. There are a few soft planks and the questionable one seen from inside. If everything is kept to the $10K then we move forward.

As for the decks. The front deck will come off. the teak used to repair the rear and side decks. Front deck will be VG Fir painted and non slip added. Will remove the side decks and rebuild the underside then try to replace the teak with what is left from doing the rear deck. If not, part might be VF Fir and then teak by the toe rail. This should get the topside water tight.

I've got to re-support the rear deck - any photos showing the support around the engine hatches would be very helpful. It would also be good to see what other cruiser have for shore power load center/disconnect. I'm not sure if my setup is near stock or incorrectly modified. Will post a photo in a new entry next week.

I'll shot a lot of before pictures and post them to my Picasa web album later in the week.

Thanks in advance for any help, direction, ideas to save this cruiser!

Mike

P.S. shot me a private message of your in the Northern Cal Delta area and want to drop by.

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm ripping most of the wiring out. Wire is coming out of the connectors (where they are used) and finding the wrong wire type/size plus no overcorrect protection. I'm glad I had all the breakers off except what was absolutely needed to move the boat. the 120V only powers the original plugs and a temp power outlet I connected. Between lose connections, bare wires unconnected and cut wires... I'm surprised it has made it so long.
IMG_1861.jpg
Trouble on the 120V side
IMG_1861.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
IMG_1862.jpg
Trouble on the 12V side, CB hidden and wrapped in duct tape...
IMG_1862.jpg (99.83 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
I guess it has never been surveyed. Between the electrical mess and the gal nipples on brass gate valves... she is living up to her new name of Lucky Girl!

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Whatever you do DON"T change her name! :D

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:24 am

Looks like some real cowboys were put to work on that boat and left unsupervised. These are the ills you've noticed so far, you know there's more just waiting to be discovered. Its all part of the restoration fun we pursue.

On a boat such as this, I like to keep a record of "what I found in the bilge" as that is where everything ends up that no one wants to go looking for. Maybe there's a diamond ring just waiting to see the light of day again!
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.11.39 PM.png
unknown why the boat never burned up with these problems
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.11.39 PM.png (100.83 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
removed more wire going nowhere. also found this little 120v wire compressed under the clamp for the fire system. :shock:

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:06 pm

WOW, cloth covered cable, jacket and conductors damaged and exposed. 120 VAC!!!. Lucky Girl is definitely the right name for your boat.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Progress, slow but steady. As some may recall the AC and some DC was together in the saloon. The locker was modified with who knows what so I took advantage of it and R&R the 120V in that location.
before in starboard locker.png
before
Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 1.14.27 PM.png
cut-out
Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 1.14.49 PM.png
back box
Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 1.15.14 PM.png
done
White tubes below the panel are plumbing for the shower. Still have to install the Gav. Iso. when I get the DC fixed. So far I've removed most of the unneeded wires and items and confirm about half the others. Pulled out the wash down and big searchlight with remote. Putting the stuff I don't need on crags lists so I can purchase the important things. Found an extra toilet in the shower! It was cover with stuff. Need to dig it out and see what it is. Currently there is an electric toilet to lectrasan that is questionable on the install. Not sure it was ever used.

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Photos of what I can see the hull needs from the inside are posted to my picasa web album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1136153585 ... HullIssues

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:07 pm

And WHY did you get rid of your last boat? :?

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:47 pm

You have some interesting plant species growing in your bilge. Just out of curiosity was Lucky Girl a fresh or salt water boat? That kind of rot looks like a case of water sitting in those bad areas for to long. Standing fresh water will do the damage much quicker than salt. Gotta get her on the hard to dry out and go from there. What's the condition of the main keel and keelsons?

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:58 pm

My wife (not me) is into dog shows ($$$$$) and she was not using it. I figured I could not afford both. I also had this "thing" about having something and spending money for it to sit and not be used for months on end... so I sold it.

That is the very same reason I passed on this boat until she begged me to get it and fix it up. She would cut back on the shows and use it more - plus keep it where she can swim off it.

Truth is I've suffered a number of concussion and now off work, I don't make very good decisions...

I'm trying to remain positive and use it as a means to get out of the house and clear my mind. I have come to grips that it will not move for the next six months and I'm good with that. I'm also pacing myself that this will be a ten year project and spend $2k per year above the hull work. Not a restoration, but clean, safe and functional.

The last one was perfect, needed nothing except preventive maintenance for the next 5-8 years. At the rate I used her (70-100 hours a year with the USCG AUX) a re-power would be needed in 8 years. Then perhaps a refasten. I should have never sold her, huge mistake. So this is to make it up to my wife.

She rescued a little dog many years back and lost her last year... and the boat... so she wanted to rescue this boat "Lucky Girl" in her memory. Perhaps it was meant to be?

Also... we have had four boats and I have yet to pick any of them out!

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:02 pm

joanroy wrote:You have some interesting plant species growing in your bilge. Just out of curiosity was Lucky Girl a fresh or salt water boat? That kind of rot looks like a case of water sitting in those bad areas for to long. Standing fresh water will do the damage much quicker than salt. Gotta get her on the hard to dry out and go from there. What's the condition of the main keel and keelsons?
Fresh water.
Keel and keelsons should be fine.
for over ten years the same yard has cared for her and the needs are the areas in the photos and two or three planks. Not sure about the Port chime. from the water line up to the toe is great.
She floats and runs.

TGIF:
Thank
God
It
Floats

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:10 pm

Some video updates uploaded to You Tube:

Interior and topsides - much cleaner now!
https://youtu.be/rz5MEs9R1as

Hull before any work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imGn5VoZSTU

Mike