Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Just starting out

Although not a Division, this area is for information unique to Chris-Craft Constellations.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Icanoedou

Just starting out

Post by Icanoedou » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello to all. After many years browsing the Boat Buzz, it is time to get started. I am an experienced woodworker, but have never tackled anything like this. CXA-27097 has not been in the water for years, and it still might be a couple, but I retired a few days ago at age 56 and am ready to tie into this project. The hull seems to be in pretty good shape. Most of the rot is around the top.

Thanks to all who have posted pictures and advice here. I have learned a lot already. This boat will be reconstituted as the "Liberty Belle" --Tom
Attachments
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
Not the end, only the beginning
1961 28' Constellation
1963 27' Constellation

Never had a Connie in the water yet.

Doug P

Re: Just starting out

Post by Doug P » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Happy retirement....Now, you are going to be busy. Have fun with "Liberty Belle".

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:17 am

Congratulations on your retirement and Welcome to the Club. Best way to get advice and guidance is to post pictures as you go along. There are lots of experienced eyes following the Buzz ready to help. I had many years of experience as a professional woodworker when I started on the Joan Roy nine years ago , but I regret not having asked more stupid questions early on in the process. Theres a few things I would have done differently had I asked. There are lots of things to know that are very specific to your particular boat. Have Fun!

Dan

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:31 am

Looks and sounds like a good time will be had by all! :D

Add some pics of the other Connie please.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Icanoedou

Post by Icanoedou » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:25 pm

A lot more rot than I was hoping for. I knew the decks were bad, and the top row of planks. Someone had fiberglassed the decks, but took it up the sides of the toerail. It eventually pulled away and created a great spot to collect water. The bulkheads had been covered with veneer on both sides. Pulling that off showed how much rot had been covered, including the main cross beam under the bulkheads. Will have to dig pretty deep to replace that. I don't think the engines have been started in ten years. With all that going on, I have decided to work on the other boat, which I might be able to get in the water this year.
Attachments
DSC_0021.JPG
Dry rot all the way across
DSC_0027.JPG
more plank rot
DSC_0025.JPG
rot on first planks
DSC_0023.JPG
fiber glassed decks
1961 28' Constellation
1963 27' Constellation

Never had a Connie in the water yet.

Jack Jensen

Post by Jack Jensen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Tom,

Where are you at with "Liberty Belle"? She's a dandy! My Dad sold our Red and White after many years when he spotted and bought a 1961 or 1962 28' Constellation that was "on the hard" at Jefferson Beach Marina in Saint Clair Shores, MI. She was named "bouy...bad bouy...something to do with bouy". My dad passed sadly from a heart attack in 1987. However, we did enjoy a few years boating here on Lake Huron, the Black River, the St. Clair River and Lake St. Clair. Before putting her in the water, my job was to strip the transom, as it was in need of stain and varnish. We elected to leave her nameless. But that boat was a dandy. The perfect size. I miss that boat. Wish I could find another. Please keep us posted.

Icanoedou

Post by Icanoedou » Fri May 13, 2022 3:20 pm

Wow, can't believe it's been 7 years since I put this up. One step forward and two steps back for a long time, but last year finally put up a pole barn so I can have the boat inside, a must in Montana. Just moved it in last week and have already got a lot done. Will be replacing all the decking and transom, as well as the top row of planking. Major damage from leaking windows that I am working on now. Still wondering what to do about the engines. Posted a new thread under engines.