Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1968 Connie 45'

Although not a Division, this area is for information unique to Chris-Craft Constellations.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

[email protected]

1968 Connie 45'

Post by [email protected] » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello all. My Name is Neil Parham and I am trying to restore my 86 year old Father's 45' Connie. We pulled her in July and replaced approximately the rear third of the bottom. We just got her back in the water several weeks ago. I don't know the protocol here so I am just going to jump in asking questions.1) The old Pearce and Russell fresh water pump seems to have good pressure but will not cut off. I have ordered a new pressure switch that I hope will fit. I have seen rebuild kits available. Should I rebuild the pump or replace the pump with a new one? 2) When I turn on the hot water is just spits and sputters. I assume the tank is empty. Is there a trick to refilling the hot water heater? 3) The hot water heater will not heat. Can I replace the element? If so does anyone know where those can be purchased? 4) The parallel switch has gone bad. It was submerged in water. Does anyone rebuild those? If not where can I purchase a new one? 5) The Drain Plug for the boat is in the center storage area below the Galley (Amidship). There are only 2 bilge pumps in the boat. One in the rear stateroom and one in the engine room. Originally was there one in the V-Berth? 6)The Plastic window tracks are disintegrating. Are they available anywhere? 7) I would like to replace all of the screens. They seem to be glued with something to the window frames. Any sources on the screen material? Any idea on the adhesive to use? 8) The windows/ports (5 in the Stateroom and 1 in the Head) in the rear Master stateroom are Aluminum and have been painted. How did they come from the factory? Painted or non painted? The rear hatch rubber gasket needs replacing. Is that available? I guess that is enough for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by [email protected] on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joanroy

Re: 1968 Connie 45'

Post by joanroy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Neil, sounds like a nice project and great to have that family history with your Connie. Probably the best way to get comments and help is to take the problems one at a time and post pictures along with your questions. My cruiser is a 1948 36 foot double stateroom so I’m not that familiar with you boat. Couple of things I can answer. You can never have enough bilge pumps. I have three. Only the lowest one comes on ocassionally, but it reassuring to have back ups. Water heater elements are usually replaceable. Make sure the heater is full of water before the heater is powered on or you’ll just cook the element again. Post some photos.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 am

Joanroy thanks for the instruction. I have tried to post pictures several times to no avail. I am sure I will learn how eventually. Your boat sounds interesting, are you in salt or freshwater?

cenger

Post by cenger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 am

2) When I turn on the hot water is just spits and sputters. Fill the tank and disconnect filling on outlet side of pump to try and pull the water through. You probably have an air bubble. May need a new impeller but try getting the air out first.
3) The hot water heater will not heat. Can I replace the element? If so does anyone know where those can be purchased? There are 2 basic types of elements. Take yours out to ensure you get the right one. Jamestown Distributors carries the elements. Easy Job.
5) I would get a third bilge pump, Does not hurt.
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Thank you Cenger, I have received a water pump rebuild kit. I am going to try and rebuild the pump on Wednesday. I have replaced the pressure switch so I hope I will have the water sorted out this week. I removed the hot water heater element and it was severely corroded. It is a Vulcan Electric element. I have bead blasted it and am going to test it this week. If it is no good then I will order a new one. Sourcing parts it very time consuming.