Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Positive Changes for the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club

This topic area is for Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club members only and is not viewable by the general public.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Terry Fiest

Positive Changes for the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club

Post by Terry Fiest » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:50 am

Fellow Members of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club, Inc.:

An ad hoc committee comprised of familiar names came together in late December to consider and evaluate ways to strengthen our club’s ability to serve its membership. At that time Bill Basler was the sole remaining director of the club. Bill Basler, Terry Fiest, and Bill Baldwin started the process and other leaders in the classic boat world were brought in to the (virtual) table. The resulting committee consisted of Bill Basler, Bill Baldwin, Terry Fiest, Wilson Wright, Don Ayers, Don Vogt, and Al Benton.

This effort resulted in the creation of a new board of directors on February 11, consisting of Don Ayers, Al Benton, and Don Vogt, and the resignation of Bill Basler as a director. As soon as the necessary changes are made in our Articles of Incorporation, and in By-Laws, we will be adding additional directors to the board. Bill Baldwin has assumed the role of Editor of the Brass Bell, and the club will be setting up new procedures and will call on members to assist in the management of the club.

First and foremost, Thank You to all of our fellow members for your loyal support and patience while we have been working our way through this process. We sincerely apologize for taking so long to report this progress. Please understand that it was indeed a long, tedious and stressful process for all involved.

We feel that the results of these many weeks of difficult decisions and actions will result in a clear path that will allow the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club to move forward, clarify roles and responsibilities, involve our members more directly, increase transparency and accountability, increase our visibility in the hobby at large, and achieve timely delivery of member benefits.

As our plans have evolved, Bill Basler has decided not to continue in his other role as manager of the club. Club management will continue on as a team effort which will spread the work load into manageable segments in order to avoid an excessive burden on any one individual. Bill has agreed to assist in familiarizing other team members in using, managing, and maintaining club services, including the Club’s web site.

We sincerely thank Bill for his years of dedication and service to the club, for creating our vast on-line presence, for helping to develop our world-class quarterly publication, The Brass Bell, and for our amazing growth over the years. We all owe Bill a great deal of gratitude for these accomplishments on behalf of the members of the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club.

As all of you are keenly aware, delivery of The Brass Bell will be our most challenging task and is at the top of our list of priorities. Methods of “fixing” this are being considered by the board and team as we work through reorganizing the Club in keeping with the best interest of our members.

The Club has experienced a period of severe financial distress and your Board of Directors are working diligently to address this issue and to resolve it. We will resume publication of The Brass Bell once this recovery process allows us to print the next issue. This will be the Fall 2011 Brass Bell, followed as soon as possible with subsequent issues. With your continued support we feel that it may be possible to be completely caught up during 2012. That is our goal. One way members can directly help is by promptly renewing their membership when billed, and by inviting others to join the club.

In order to meet budget constraints for The Brass Bell, page count will be reduced modestly in the short run in order to help in this difficult recovery process. However, Bill Baldwin promises that they will contain amazing, interesting, and enjoyable content and will be printed using the best quality format and artwork available for the price. You will not be disappointed. To provide more timely information, the Calendar and the Trading Dock will appear only on our web site.

Our goals are focused on providing the very best Club benefits available anywhere in a timely fashion and forming good governance with necessary oversight and complete transparency that serves the membership to the fullest extent possible. We are currently forming an IT Committee to assist with electronic member benefits, and a publications committee to help Bill Baldwin with The Brass Bell. Do let us know if you would be interested in joining either of these committees. More specific information as to needed skills will be sent out shortly. We will be adding additional committees to tackle other tasks as we move forward. The enthusiastic participation of club members will be very beneficial and welcome.

Please feel free to contact any of us if you have any questions. Again, thanks for your continued support as we move through this challenging transition. We will update members as additional information is developed.

Your Club Board of Directors: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Posted with permission using Terry Fiest log in.

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Well I missed this posting because I guess I go directly to the tech sections here on the Buzz.

I am disappointed.

In my view, our hobby is not really about the boats, it is about the people who love the boats and live to share the fun of the boats. There is so much more to it than mahogany, varnish, and iron. Bill Basler was a champion of the human element, giving of himself to an extent far beyond what most of us would or could match.

I recall this recent message to the club. I sent in my dues based upon this assurance.
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=7034

I posted this message of support to Bill Basler because I knew the guy obviously needed a boost, in view of what had transpired.
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=7047

Now I see the new message posted under the title “positive changes”, announcing Bill has “resigned”, and I see nothing positive about that.

Rather than speculate, I will say the present day credibility and status of the CCABC is due to a very large extent, to Bill’s personal integrity, his business ethics, sense of fair play, enthusiasm, total commitment, and "class".

Sincerely,

Pau1 P1etcher
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Paul P wrote:Well I missed this posting because I guess I go directly to the tech sections here on the Buzz.

I am disappointed.

In my view, our hobby is not really about the boats, it is about the people who love the boats and live to share the fun of the boats. There is so much more to it than mahogany, varnish, and iron. Bill Basler was a champion of the human element, giving of himself to an extent far beyond what most of us would or could match.

I recall this recent message to the club. I sent in my dues based upon this assurance.
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=7034

I posted this message of support to Bill Basler because I knew the guy obviously needed a boost, in view of what had transpired.
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=7047

Now I see the new message posted under the title “positive changes”, announcing Bill has “resigned”, and I see nothing positive about that.

Rather than speculate, I will say the present day credibility and status of the CCABC is due to a very large extent, to Bill’s personal integrity, his business ethics, sense of fair play, enthusiasm, total commitment, and "class".

Sincerely,

Pau1 P1etcher

A big yeap!...and I feel he is the only one that can design and produce a magazine that is of the caliber of the Bell. It would have been nicer to see everyone rally around him....but what it looks like to me is he was pushed out.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Paul, Ryan and All,

Your feelings are shared by all of us. Bill Basler realized that the Club was in serious trouble. He, not others, began asking for help. He called on Bill Baldwin and Terry Fiest for advice. They, in turn asked others to form the ad hoc committee that started to work on this last December. The result of these talks brought about a new board with responsibility to bring about financial stability and to develop a means to assure continuation the Club.

This has not been pleasant for any of us or for our fellow members. We wish that things could have been more palatable for everyone, including our past leader Bill Basler.

I'll let some of the others say more (or correct me) if they feel that it would be appropriate.
Al
Member - Executive Team

mtelow

Post by mtelow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm

I will not join unless Bill Basler is involved in some sort of fashion...

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:47 pm

It would be better for Bill to speak for himself but, if I may be so bold, I will attempt to say what I feel may be fair to him:

Bill supported this Club from his very successful business until the Nation's economic climate fell to an historic low in recent years. The results were not favorable and he eventually sold his business and moved Club headquarters to his home.

He is now a Director for the corporation that purchased his business and is called upon to frequently travel for them, leaving little to no time for administrative demands that this Club calls for.

Bill also teaches at two local colleges, is a student, a dedicated husband and a caring and loving father to 6 wonderful children (2 in college, 3 in school and a toddler at home). He is very dedicated to his family and his profession and has also been very dedicated to this Club, as all of you know.

Bill's life has suddenly become much more complicated. He is no less dedicated to this Club than he ever has been but present circumstances are accompanied with difficult choices. The Club is important to him but his family and profession must come first.

We feel that he sought help from the right sources and the results of this will see that this Club continues long into the future.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Al Schinnerer

Post by Al Schinnerer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 pm

I agree. The Brass Bell is a great publication, thanks to Bill and the contributors, but I still haven't received the last two issues.
Restoration projects:

1940 C-C 27' Racing Runabout
1955 C-C 21' Cobra
1942 Gar Wood 33.5 Runabout
1972 Riva 21.5 Olympic

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Well said, and enough said, by Al Benton.

We need to move on. I know Al and the new board will give us their best. I support them unreservedly.

John in Va.

Spring has sprung...going boating...
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Al, this seems to still be an ongoing problem in spite of Bill's effort to re-send them via first class mail. To complicate things further the extra issues were sent to the Sunnyland Boat Festival and those remaining from that Show have now been forwarded to Keels & Wheels in Texas.

We will make every effort to see that these extra copies are not given away at Keels & Wheels before you and a few other members that have notified us receive them first.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:15 pm

So Al - Is it out of line to ask for an update on the current status of the club please? I believe that there are other fellow club members that are also interested to know what is happening with the club since the last announcement.

- Who is currently acting as the Board of Directors and what is their position?
- Who is currently doing tech support?
- What is the current status of the Brass Bell?
- Is the club looking for content / story contributions for the Brass Bell?
- Who is now responsible for advertising sales?
- Has the membership dues increased and if so what are the new rates?
- Is the club doing some promotional work at Keels & Wheels in Texas?

These are not meant to put you on the spot, but the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club has one of the most powerful communication tools in the hobby (i.e. Boat Buzz / Club Website), but the communication with the membership about the recent developments / changes within the club's structure are marginal.

Thanks Al - Just a concerned club member.
Reg Down

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Mags may have been SENT TO Tavares for the Sunnyland/ lake Dora show...but they never arrived...nor did ANY sort of promo material. Just to keep the record straight.

This will all work out, we have good people working on it.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

wadecon1

A suggestion

Post by wadecon1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 am

To reiterate what was mentioned in an earlier post. Assumptions and rumors are starting to flow like exhaust water pumped from a fresh impeller. As a long time club supporter, who will continue to on be board, I would like to know a little more about how the ducks have been put in a row. I hope the new plan includes leadership with the vision and passion that Mr Bassler brought to the table. Thanks to all who continue to keep the club afloat.

Chris Wade

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Reg, Chris and others, I'm in a remote location with terrible internet service at present and can't answer much now.

We, as a board, profoundly apologize for not being as attentive as we need to be. We promise to improve this. We will post an update as soon as possible that will bring you up to speed with our progress.

I will be returning to civilization Sunday evening. Before then, one of the other board members may post something as well.

I'll send this along before loosing connection...
Al
Member - Executive Team

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:10 pm

All

On behalf of the BOD's we want to recognize the comments and concerns posted here. We realize the need for ongoing and improved communication to the membership.

We plan to post a major update this weekend in the "club business" section of Boat Buzz.

Please be aware that members must log in to see and read posts in this section. CCABC business is for members only and not for public consumption.

Once we post there will be a notice posted here to direction all members

Best regards and thank you to everyone for your continued support.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, who is " We " ?

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:54 pm

"club business" is this the correct location for the news on the club? I could not find this title.
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 pm

You have to be logged in and you will see it just below the "From the Club" topic
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 am

Thank you for the timely response to my questions. I appreciate the communication and look forward to further communication as the club moves forward.
Reg Down

Woody Gal

Positive changes for the boat club

Post by Woody Gal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 am

Just for the record, I would like to purchase two copies of the Spring Brass Bell, if possible. After members who did not receive their copies get them, of course.

Thanks all,

Susan
Susan Miller

1967 18' CC Super Sport, Daddy Had One
1974 19' CC XK-19, ARRRGH!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:55 am

I am logged in and I don't see that title below the "from the club" section?

I am cyber stupid, but where is this post?

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

It is in the "Chris Craft Antique Boat Club Business", not from the club.
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 am

Begging your pardon. I just don't understand??

Where is this post? I must be doing something wrong?

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

Here ya go John.....be sure you are logged in and then click on this link.

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=7331

Hope this works for you (and anyone else wanting to find the info)

Best,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

KentJ

2nd quarter Brass Bell

Post by KentJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Al, I did't get the second quarter of the brass bell either. I would appreciate my first copy ever.! :P

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Kent,

Thanks for your post. It gives me the opportunity to present The Fall 2011 Brass Bell on-line version. Our next steps are to print and mail it to you.

This will be your first issue but certainly not your last. We've got a lot of catching up to do, so look for more Brass Bells coming your way as we move forward.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 am

For my 2 cents.
Never will a person receive so many negative comments as he will when suggesting an on-line version of a much beloved printed hard copy of their avocation.

But allow me to explain the reasoning that is being repeated across the country.
First is speed, then cost, plus the ability to readily search each publication, with the ability to add hyperlinks to ANY article and ad,(a greater benefit for the advertisers). As we are in a savings mode, perhaps this could be a temporary solution. I owned a commercial publishing company for several years (on Mercer Island, Don) and should be the last person to suggest this.

But here is a superior publication using the internet for reading and dispersal.
www.ClassicYachtMag.com/currentissue
Plus I would also suggest that WoodyBoater is now the most viewed publication about our hobby.
Doug

mfine

Post by mfine » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Doug, the migration to digital has been and will continue to be discussed here. I am certainly in favor of digital delivery myself, but I do recognize that many others are not quite ready to make the leap. We will get there soon enough.
Doug P wrote: Plus I would also suggest that WoodyBoater is now the most viewed publication about our hobby.
Doug
Keep in mind we are merely a type club looking to attract a subset of the hobby. We don't need to compete with "The center of the wood-motorboat universe: Woody Boater" for the size of our readership/membership. From the numbers I have seen recently from both sides that would be quite a feat. In fact, I believe more people read the WB article I wrote last week than the membership of CCABC and ACBS combined.

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:53 pm

I'am not sure why the Brass Bell is being delivered on line before the actual hard copy magazine gets to the mailbox. I looked forward to the Brass Bell in the mailbox with all it's new stories and info,but now I have read it before it gets here. Seems to me the process is reversed.And while I'm bitching',with all the interesting and untold stories about Chris-Craft's why do we have a story about a Ventnor? We are the CCABC!

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

JohnKadimik wrote:I'am not sure why the Brass Bell is being delivered on line before the actual hard copy magazine gets to the mailbox. I looked forward to the Brass Bell in the mailbox with all it's new stories and info,but now I have read it before it gets here. Seems to me the process is reversed.And while I'm bitching',with all the interesting and untold stories about Chris-Craft's why do we have a story about a Ventnor? We are the CCABC!
I was thinking the same thing...How about some Chris Craft Cruisers?...I can usually handle all of the runabout info...but the Ventnor?!
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Keep in mind we are merely a type club looking to attract a subset of the hobby. We don't need to compete with "The center of the wood-motorboat universe: Woody Boater" for the size of our readership/membership. From the numbers I have seen recently from both sides that would be quite a feat. In fact, I believe more people read the WB article I wrote last week than the membership of CCABC and ACBS combined.

What I meant to point out was not a competitive situation, "cause I learn from all the publications",- but stating that Woody Boater, is solely a digital product and well accepted.