Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Road side assist??

Have an insurance-related question? Our Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club Silver Sponsor, Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, LLC, is eager to help navigate the waters.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Road side assist??

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Is road side assistance always included in our boat policies?

What if you have a bearing go out on the road somewhere? Is there like a AAA service to call?

Just curious
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:42 am

AAA has an RV option. I'm thinking it is $78yr. If you have problems they tow your boat too. Best thing about AAA is you call them and they find a local service. Just tell them where you are. You get motel discounts with the card too.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

hagerty

Road side assist

Post by hagerty » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am

Good topic, Hagerty Marine is currently developing a sister product for our Boat policies that will provide roadside assistance for any trailer problems. Our Classic Car Division has Hagerty Plus, it is optional product that will Guarantee Flatbed towing for you classic car. Currently, if you have Hagerty Classic Car with Hagerty + at the premium level and have trouble when towing a boat, this service could be used. We are considering the size limits that a flat bed could accomadate, boat on trailer, as 26' is typically the max they can handle.
The realities of what we typically see from a claims standpoint focus on two of the most common dangers of towing.....blowouts / flat tires and spinning a bearing. These are things that could potentially be avoided with proper maintiance and preperation for a long haul...but things happen!!Do check with your Auto insurance as they may have extended coverage avalible.The AAA option is a good product, just make sure they understand it is a separate boat. Typically, the car ins. takes care of the car, the boat ins. the boat....trailers are in limbo.. Stay tuned for updates as we put this product together!!!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for the reply.

You can prep for a long trip by doing the above but you never know what is going to happen.

While taking our boat from Oklahoma to Tahoe with a brand new trailer all checked out we still lost a bearing half way across NV. Lucky for us we were able to limp in without it going to pieces.

When going 1800 miles one way be prepared for anything!
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

hagerty

Road side assist

Post by hagerty » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 am

Yes Don, as well all know too well, even the best laid plans......
We would ask anyone following this to send to us problems you may have incountered with your Trailer while traveling, knowing what risk you face will help us craft coverage and program to best fit your needs.
Did you have to leave the Trailer & Boat? How long to get back on the road? Did the service provider know what to do? Were you freaked out leaving your boat on the side of the road??? What happened??
You can reply here or direct to [email protected]

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I lost a hub after hitting some nasty potholes. The bearings were freshly greased, tires and wheels were fairly new, and I had a spare mounted tire. When I hit the potholes, the wheel and the lugs got damaged and by time I realized it and pulled over, all 5 of the studs were badly damaged so even though I had a spare tire and wheel, I had a hard time securing it. I limped home 5 miles at slow speed, but any further and I would have had to leave it.

I think the problem may have been helped by the lug nuts being too loose, but they had been tightened in the spring (2 months and less than 100 miles earlier) and the lugs on the other side were still tight. It is really hard to say what happened when it is all torn up by time you see it (maybe a quarter mile from where it happened).

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Boat US has a trailering assist option. I have never needed it (thankfully) but I am under the impression they will send someone out just like the in-water towing benefit. Has anyone used this?

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:11 pm

JimF wrote:Boat US has a trailering assist option. I have never needed it (thankfully) but I am under the impression they will send someone out just like the in-water towing benefit. Has anyone used this?
WHAT!
I remember loaning you MY spare in Tennessee one year.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Actually, what I should have said is, that I have never tried it. I did not have it back then and I much appreciated the loan of the wheel which I remember could fit any number of hubs with offset holes or something. Then we stumbled upon a loose tire on the side of the road that belonged to another of our merry band, but that is another story. Since then I would like to report that my trailering has been trouble free but that is not the case. It has been easier for me to change my own tires and bearings rather than wait on the side of the highway for who knows what to show up. I carry lots of trailer stuff including 2 spare tires, bearings, grease and a large box of assorted gear. There may even be a flare gun in there. Always air up your tires and grease your bearings and you are way ahead of the game.

hagerty

Road side assist

Post by hagerty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am

Maybe we just send JimF out on the road with repair supplies to follow classic boaters around....sounds like you know the drill!!

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:55 am

I think that's great idea Chris. Think if the country he could see.
Bill Basler