Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hagerty discontinues classic boat insurance

Have an insurance-related question? Our Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club Silver Sponsor, Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, LLC, is eager to help navigate the waters.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Craig Schmidt

Hagerty discontinues classic boat insurance

Post by Craig Schmidt » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:36 am

I recently got a letter from Hagerty advising they are not going to renew the insurance on my 1938 Deluxe Runabout because Hagerty has decided to "discontinue the Classic Boat Program." Hagerty is switching to the Markel American Insurance Company as their new underwriter, and I should await a letter from Markel for a new policy, maybe. I say maybe because the letter states Markel will require credit reports or information from a "third party" before offering a policy. The letter further states that I have the right to refuse them access my credit reports if I choose, but that if I do I will be denied coverage. This is a hassle for me because I've had all three credit bureaus lock down my credit reports years ago for security reasons To allow anyone access I'd need sent the bureaus letters specifically granting Markel access. If I remember, there is a fee involved, too.
Questions: Anybody else getting a letter like this? If I want to switch to a different insurance company, who is recommended by CCABC members? Would a survey be involved, and how much might that cost for a 17' Deluxe Runabout?

Captain Nemo

Re: Hagerty discontinues classic boat insurance

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Hi, I just within the last couple months renewed my policy w/ Hagerty for my cruiser. I didn’t get any notification like that.
I hear a lot about Grundy insurance. I couldn’t tell you what they might require to get a policy for your boat though.
Good luck.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:33 pm

I aquired a Sportsman last July and Hagerty covered over the phone no problems. I do have classic cars with them. We did a follow up on coverage and was transferred to Markel . Now renewal might be a different proposition.

drrot

Post by drrot » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:47 am

I sure miss Carla.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174