Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

racing pram

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Kit Boat Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jim g

racing pram

Post by jim g » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:03 pm

well someone needs to get this started. Pictures of the racing pram i picked up a couple of years ago.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Jim, Thanks and welcome to Boat Buzz.

Great looking Racing Pram. Is that also a Chris-Craft engine on the transom? Thanks for posting the photos.

I thought there were some posts on here earlier this year but maybe I'm imagining it. Anyway, it's good to see this lonely area of Boat Buzz now has a very worthy Chris-Craft Kit Boat for us to admire.
Al
Member - Executive Team

kits

Post by kits » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Great to see another kit boat, Jim. I haven't seen many 10' prams. I've got a 12' runabout and a 14' Barracuda, both awaiting restoration.

There were a few posts here earlier, Al, but they got wiped out when the site was having some trouble and apparently not recoverable. And yes, that is a 5.5 hp Chris Craft Challenger outboard.

Bob

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 pm

The Forum Index indicates there were 5 topics here but this is the only one that exists now. It's coming back to me now, I think Bill mentioned that many of the missing posts still exist but can't be recovered until the new version of Boat Buzz is completed.

I thought that might be a Chris-Craft outboard on Jim's Racing Pram. Thanks for confirming it, Bob.
Al
Member - Executive Team

jwoldeboat

Raceing pram

Post by jwoldeboat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:25 am

Jim,
I bought one of these Chris Craft kits back in about 1952 from a Chris Craft dealer in Ventnor, New Jersey and I think the price was about $ 69.00.I know I still have the original bill and pictures somewhere in all my boxes of boat stuff and if I can find them will post them. It was an easy boat to build, was fast and lots of fun with the 1952 7 1/2 hp Evinrude that I put on it.
jw

Randy Mueller

Post by Randy Mueller » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I purchased a very sound 10' Racing Pram in the mid-'90s that had obviously been kept under cover all of it's life. Hope to put it in the water someday with an old 7-1/2 hp evinrude I have. It is very similar to an old racing runabout I had as a kid in 1955.

Nice to see others are still alive out there. In some regards these inexpensive little plywood boats are rarer than CC Cobras -- nobody was really concerned with saving them so very few original examples survived.

Randy Mueller
Gig Harbor, WA

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 pm

What sold me was the steering system most you see have the cable wrapped around a spool this one is basically a rack and pinion style set up. I have a picture of the boat from one of the previous owners and he was running 2 chris 5 1/2 horse motors.

jim g

Re: Raceing pram

Post by jim g » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:17 pm

jwoldeboat wrote:Jim,
I bought one of these Chris Craft kits back in about 1952 from a Chris Craft dealer in Ventnor, New Jersey and I think the price was about $ 69.00.I know I still have the original bill and pictures somewhere in all my boxes of boat stuff and if I can find them will post them. It was an easy boat to build, was fast and lots of fun with the 1952 7 1/2 hp Evinrude that I put on it.
jw
A new racing pram kit from Jamescraft runs $3250.00 plus shipping.

jwoldeboat

raceing pram

Post by jwoldeboat » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:35 am

I knew I should have kept that boat !! (along with all the boats and cars that i have had over the years)
jw