Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1960 Cavalier 25' Custom Cruiser Restoration

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Cavalier Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mtvannier

1960 Cavalier 25' Custom Cruiser Restoration

Post by mtvannier » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Greetings, I have just purchased and begun a restoration of a 1960 25' custom cruiser. I am interested in any advice on sources for correct era upholstery designs and hardware, particularly the ship's wheel. I would also welcome any pictures of restorations of this model, including cabin interior. Thanks.

Patrick

Let the fun begin!

Post by Patrick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello and Welcome.
What condition is you boat in and does it have a story?
Is that lapstrake construction?
I have a 1968 36'Cavalier and it's been a great boat.
Is this your first restoration?

Good luck...have fun

Patrick

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:27 pm

I am the Cavalier guy...mostly...on this site...what info/things do you need?

Welcome!!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

mtvannier

25' 1960 Cavalier Custom Cruiser

Post by mtvannier » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. This is my first restoration. Practice to date has been maintaining our '49 Century Sea Maid. I have a couple re-varnish winters under my belt, but I have a very talented restorer in Wayne Spaulding, from whom I purchased my Sea Maid.

We are in the early assessment stages. I have submitted a research request to the Mariner's Museum to get a start on her story. Top of the needs list is a steering wheel, a source for original upholstery designs, and the aft flag pole hardware. More will be found as we get into it, for sure.

Thanks again for the replies and look forward to the dialogue and encouragement.

Michael

mtvannier

Re: 1960 Cavalier 25' Custom Cruiser Restoration

Post by mtvannier » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:04 am

Ta Da... After a two year restoration, 20 years of sitting on a trailer, and many wonderful hours working with my son, Jack, we launched her. Of course, we took liberties with her model name and "Customized" our Cavalier Custom Cruiser. Mahogany plank deck, transom and custom helm windshield frame make her stand out in the crowd. Many thanks to the talented craftsmen who had a hand in her restoration and mentored us during this journey. To my fellow members of the Rocky Mountain Classics Club - Wayne Spaulding, Doug Brown and Jeff Waco, many Thanks for lending your talent and extending the friendship that is such a part of our wonderful passion and hobby.

Now, anyone know anyone in the Northern Colorado area willing to rent a space in their shop or barn to allow some further winter restoration? After lifting her back onto her trailer, and assembling the helm windshield, she can't go back in my garage...should have thought of that, huh?
At Home on Lake Dillon.jpg
New home on Lake Dillon in Colorado

Port Side.jpg
Port side pic for comparison to original pic posted here