Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hull I.d. Location?

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

kevin

Hull I.d. Location?

Post by kevin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 am

I 'm considering a 1948 33' deluxe sedan cruiser. It's a beautiful boat. Apon inspection I can't find the hull I.d. number anywhere? The current owner ( less than a year) and previous owner of 15 years do not know the number and have not been able to locate it anywhere on the boat.

Where is the hull I.d. # on this type of cruiser supposed to be located??

What is the problem with purchasing a boat with an unknown hull # ???

Is there anyway to determine through records or build sheet what the hull I.d. # may be??

Thanks Guys!

Captain Nemo

Re: Hull I.d. Location?

Post by Captain Nemo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:34 am

Welcome to the Boat Buzz.
You should find the hull # stamped on top of one of the engine stringers. If you remove any interior trim parts they should be stamped also. You should find it stamped on the bottom edge of a cabin door or on the edge of any hatches too.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Welcome Kevin...Attached is a pic of our 33 footer. Like Captain Nemo said...they randomly stamped the parts with your hull number. Look on all the hatches, door bottoms, and anything else that is a wooden part.

If the boat has a title the only issue of not having the hull number would be not being able to get the original records from the Mariners Museum...but I refuse to believe you cant find the number somewhere.
Attachments
olechris46.jpg
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

kevin

Post by kevin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:21 am

Hey Guys,

Great! Thank you for the info. I will be back at the boat for an inspection this Friday and will let you know what I find. Your 33' looks like a beaut!! Feel free to send more pics my way! :)

How long have you had her? Is it a 1948?

Thanks again!

Kevin
kevin wrote:I 'm considering a 1948 33' deluxe sedan cruiser. It's a beautiful boat. Apon inspection I can't find the hull I.d. number anywhere? The current owner ( less than a year) and previous owner of 15 years do not know the number and have not been able to locate it anywhere on the boat.

Where is the hull I.d. # on this type of cruiser supposed to be located??

What is the problem with purchasing a boat with an unknown hull # ???

Is there anyway to determine through records or build sheet what the hull I.d. # may be??

Thanks Guys!

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:01 pm

She has happily owned us for 5 years now...1940
Attachments
olechris12.jpg
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

kevin

Post by kevin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:33 am

Hey Guys,

Well I did find a hull I.d. #. Thanks too boat buzz!!! It took alot of searching but on the inside of the main cabin door window there is a stamp of 328. So my assumption is the hull I.d. Is cc-33-328?

Unfortunately upon my and a boat builders inspection we found the bottom planking to be a complete patched up mess. Most likely in need of a whole new bottom. Or at least lots and lots of planking.

The cost for repairing this is unclear? Not knowing what we would find until the job is started, ie. frame rot etc...

Trying to get a ball park figure has been tough. Some say $25k another says $200k !??

Now being in the San Francisco bay area and talking with Sausolito and Lake Tahoe boat shops I would expect the pricing to be very high. But really??

So, I guess my next question to everyone on boat buzz is... What should a bottom job on a 1948 33' deluxe cruiser cost??

Kevin

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:48 am

My bottom will be getting replaced this winter...work done by Jerry LeCompte of Dockside Boat works. The estimate is on the lower side of your numbers that you threw out, but my boats frames and ribs are for the most part good and wont need replacing.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:53 am

The cheapest way is to do it yourself, but if that's not an option you need to find the right guy. He or she should be a very experienced wooden boat restorer preferably with experience on the early CC double planked bottom hard chine construction. Check references and talk to previous clients. I'm sure there are some very reputable wooden boat restorers on the West Coast that will at least be able to give you a ball park quote. I know everything is very expensive in the Bay Area. I lived on Belvedere Island and worked at the San Francisco yacht club back in the 70's and it was expensive back then. You may have to travel a bit to find the right guy for the job. Good Luck and keep us posted with pictures.