Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Riviera Chine Questions

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

cewplatt

Riviera Chine Questions

Post by cewplatt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:28 am

Greetings,

I'm rebuilding a project boat and have a couple of questions regarding the chine cap (two piece chine). I have the plans and the chine cap in the section views is shown to be flush with the outer planking and this appears to be the case with the existing condition of the project boat, but with the heavy weathering I'm uncertain. I've seen several other boats with the chine cap extending out a bit when viewing down the hull. I'm not sure if this is intentional or maybe some wood movement. I was wondering if anyone knew the correct configuration for a 1951 Riviera 20. Is the chine cap supposed to be flush with the planking? Also, I'd also be interested in any information on how the chine cap tapers from the bow to the stern. I might need another post for the chine rabbit, this was a challenge to figure out from what was left.

Clay Platt
1950 Riviera 20
www.riviera20.com

Tightline5

Re: Riviera Chine Questions

Post by Tightline5 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Send me an email contact and I will send you 50 or so photos I have of this area when I restored one last year.
Put Riviera in the subject line so I will not delete.
[email protected]
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"