Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

21' Capri engine hatch cover seams

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Al Benton, Don Ayers, Don Vogt

jwoldeboat

21' Capri engine hatch cover seams

Post by jwoldeboat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 pm

I have just striped,sanded and bleached the engine hatch cover and am ready to refinish but before I stain (blond),seal and varnish how do I fix and permantly stop the the three plank seams that are now 1/16" wide from the expanson and contraction all the time??? On a hot sunny summer day they open up and close up on a rainy day. Last time I refinished the hatch cover I filled in the seams with varnish thinking that would help but it did not. the planks are in perfect shape along with all the bungs and I really do not want to take the hatch cover boards off and re-do . Any thoughts or ideas on how to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated as seeing the open seams drives me crazy Jw

Doug P

Re: 21' Capri engine hatch cover seams

Post by Doug P » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm

You can purchase these hatch cover covers on EBay and not have to care about open seams.

solopar

Post by solopar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:15 am

If you had those girls on the back, then the problem was worth it :)

Anyway, I got a series of videos from http://www.townsendboatworks.com/ and he has a video (disk 6 track 2) where he cuts and fits shims in between some hull planks. The same process would probably work on the hatch cover if replacement isn't feasible. Brandon also has a lot of videos on Youtube that are free. His finish work comes out great and I have learned a lot from watching his videos. You can find videos on Youtube if you seach "brandotown".

jwoldeboat

Post by jwoldeboat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks guys for the input--- so far the girls idea sounds great- but--- finding them could be a problem as at my age the ones I might be able get would have a problem even getting in the boat and where would I put their walker ??? Looking into a pair of beautiful mannequins that I could velcro to the hatch cover -- Thanks and keep those great ideas coming