Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

uh Oh!

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:21 am

Where oh where to go next... Well the panels. I had marked the wall where I though the panels should go, same wall as the fuse panel but lower, behind what will eventually be a bench seat in the Dinette area however the panel Bill had hardwired was taken out and the wall repaired, in the process my marked spot was eliminated and the panels where stuck in the middle of the wall. My previous post included a comment about the difference between guys and gals... Ya'll pick the most conspicuous place to put things we would like not to see... switches, wall plates, cords...I just wanted to be true to the earlier post. The ONE wall big enough for a picture or a TV now has three huge, ugly boxes in it.

But the the real controversy was over the wiring..
Image This is where the shore power came in to the wheel house..notice the electrical tape and twists as opposed to connectors...Some of the things I had found in the boat didn't even have tape around them. My first few days of cleaning inspired a sharp pair of wire cutters and some connectors, lots of tape and good music...of course beer too.

Image This is of the new panels, wired in, nice connections, shrink wrap and all....but in all honestly it started a difficult conversation about Marine grade wire vs. household/commercial wiring.

Marine wire is stranded and tinned. Household is solid and not. The differences as I have come to learn are important because of breakage, corrosion, load, vibration and more... The regulations for Marine safety require marine grade wiring for electrical applications on boats although the regulations are relatively new compared to the boat...I believe I read the changes started about 34-38 years ago, I could be very wrong too.... Unfortunately there were many really great responses to the post about this subject. I learned a lot.

I often go back over this thread and re-read posts, for info, cross references, etc. It's the same with the others, sometimes I find myself reading something from 2006 that someone experienced, learned and shared. I've spent hours enjoying the dialogue even when I am not in it.

Okay so somewhere in all this, we had Christmas, New Year's and a snow storm...

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 am

One of the things in the original work order was to re-pack the rudder. ONe of the guys had noticed early on that the rudder was not right. When they were working on the bottom they removed the rudder and found a slight bend. It probably happened when Bill ran aground and ripped the prop and shaft off. Having owned the boat for 32 yrs he had many, shall we say, "adventures". Local lore is that he's sunk it 3x. How exactly that is qualified I am not sure. It certainly wasn't part of the sales pitch.

That's the photo from the early days..

The bend is easier to see on the boat than on the table but the scary part was the LACK of packing in there. there was a single strand of very dry rope packing where there ought to be two full circles if not three. The pin holding on was hardly touching, the washers were rusted tight and it's miracle it hadn't slid out.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 am

When they got it all back together it went in fine, all the way, connected properly and moved appropriately. However reconnecting it to the wheel, they could hardly turn it.

I remember talking to someone, most likely Dpetty about this...well before it happened. The steering cable had swollen in it's sleeve and wouldn't budge. One poster suggested soaking it in trans fluid, I passed it on to the guys. Needless to say they didn't think much of the soak, and say that it didn't work. They had done a cable on a 32' Catalina within the last year or so and were familiar enough with the awkwardness and difficulty of the job. As of today, I believe they are still working on it if not already done.

We had snow in Atlanta. For those of you who live in snowy places, don't laugh...the city shut down for a full week. Did I mention it was 5" of snow.

Lana and I walked to work for two days until they could get a plow over to our end of town. By That time the sun had melted a layer off the top that would refreeze every night, plus we had a very "A" typical artic blast that kept us in the teens. Having lived in Atlanta a long time, and surviving the "blizzard of 93" (6 inches) I knew enough to shovel the sidewalks on the first day. For the entire week we were the only ones with a passable walkway and the streets were awful. As of today (January 28) the clump of residual snow shoveled into the corners of the driveway is FINALLY gone. Now we are left with the dust and gravel on everything...

So, There are a few more pictures I'd like to re-post but for now I'm headed to work. I am hoping to go visit the boat but it's Friday and I might not make it up there....Have a Great Day!

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:12 am

The AC/ Heat unit is fascinating to me. The compressor is much like the ones on commercial reach-ins, beer coolers, etc. The whole thing charges like normal, with freon, although which freon I am not sure. The water cooling part of things is odd, It seems to me the pump and strainer would make as much noise as a a fan and motor. The biggest advantage to me is not having a window stuck full of AC. I venture to wager that the condensation off the AC contributed to some of the boat"s woes, therefore I am doing better by the boat. And the heat, well the heat who can complain about that, taking the nip out of the air...AHh. so these are a few pictures that I had posted before..
Image one of the best bits of advice ya'll gave was to double up on the hose clamps. this is the water intake at the head, Split for the ac.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:20 am

Image[/url

This is the pump that draws the water through a strainer, again great advice to double up on the clamps, and some concerns were voiced as to the material in the elbow.
[url=http://postimage.org/image/574haeas/]Image
This is the strainer, I will have to make some kind of access panel to be able to check the basket without having to pull up the entire floor of the Dinette.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:35 am

I keep hitting submit instead of preview, sorry... The last picture is the programmable thermostat. It's got every setting possible to keep the cabin temp comfortable.

The panels, we put in are straight forward. Danny wired the second panel to be in two 15amp breakers. The first half is for the refrigerator, microwave and one light use outlet. The second breaker is for the other outlets, ie trickle charger, lamps, cell phone chargers etc.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 am

Did it again.... And the last picture is the new through hull fitting for the water discharge next to the old one for the forward bilge pump.

The very last thing I remember posting about was the wood around the windows. Just forward of our Cavalier logo the mahogany has split. It is my intention to fill and repaint all the cabin roof and sides before I get the window tracks in place. This was the picture I posted..

After a little dialogue, I will be soaking these areas with CPES, before using Fill-it, sanding and re-painting.

The boat is ready to get back in the water though it's not finished by any means. The fellas are eager to get their bay back, as we are eager to begin again on what we thought was going to be a slow, restoration of a much loved 1968 Chris Craft. There is so much to do before I'd even feel okay about leaving her in the water, and of course it's still cold here for a few more weeks...the great blizzard of 93 happened in March. (okay okay it was only 6 inches but...) We have only owned her since the end of August, she's spent more time in repair than we have spent in the water with her but we are still in love... I am learning fast. It's very rewarding. Hopefully, I'll get up there today...It's Saturday, the yard is closed on Sundays and Mondays...so if I don't make it, I'll go for sure on Tuesday.

If I have forgotten something in re-posting all this gobbley-gook please let me know. I am very sorry that everyone's post and responses are gone for now, I can't explain how much they mean to us in this process. I look forward to reading everyday!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Ali,

I believe you have done an excellent job of recreating most of the posts that are misplaced (for now). Thanks for doing that. The replies are still not there but you have already reacted to most of them.

On another topic some of us were talking about how so many of these old cruisers are just sitting, waiting and sadly deteriorating because no one has come along to keep them going. These old boats don't last long when no one cares for them the way that you are with yours. Thanks to you, she will be around for a while longer, hopefully many years longer. Thanks for that, and for sharing your experiences with us. You are a great encouragement to all of us to keep our vintage treasures afloat and safe.

Al

aliwildatwork

Inspiration

Post by aliwildatwork » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 am

As usual Al, you are inspiring me to keep going. All of the comments and contributions people have shared on this forum/thread/site make the task of maintenance and restoration positively doable. The value of the boat has been for me in the experience, rather than the financials.

There are indeed a few of these beauties floating around in desperate need of attention. There's a 25' ply cavalier at my marina on a trailer that needs a home. It's in better shape than some I have seen for sale on the net. But the owner isn't budging from the 3000, he wants for it. (it was in my head the "parts" boat I looked at last fall). It was indeed divine inspiration for us to by a boat... never a thought had crossed my mind. I am grateful we made the leap in spite of all the worries and drama with the repairs. Mostly, I am grateful I have found such a wealth of knowledge and joy in everyone here. THANKS TO ALL!

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 am

Finally made it up to the boat to see how things are going. Good news is that the steering cable has been replaced, the wiring is all marine grade stranded wire, and the hard stuff is over. The boat looks great although torn apart on the inside. The floor boards are all swept and clean, the AC/Heat unit is installed but the ductwork is yet to be decided. The only issues pending are....

...me getting the windows back in
...deciding on a sump pump vs bilge drain for ac
...autochoke for motor
...misc. wiring connections that are left from Bill's repairs in engine compartment
...upholstery,
...helm seats
...counters, refrig, micro
...head, redo vs replace
...changing color of canvas on bimini
...instrument panel and wiring

Bad new is the the bill needs to be paid....It's obviously more money than they quoted...It's not awful but it does hurt. However, we told them that they took a while to fix it, so be patient because it would take us a while to pay it. So far they seem okay with that.

WINDOWS... I picked up the new window tracks, they are beautifully white, a little smaller looking, and hopefully an easy task. I'll grab the glass on Monday or Tuesday and work on the install next week. It's time to get her in the water. Windows are the only hinderance right now.

jahearne

Re: Inspiration

Post by jahearne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm

aliwildatwork wrote:As usual Al, you are inspiring me to keep going. All of the comments and contributions people have shared on this forum/thread/site make the task of maintenance and restoration positively doable. The value of the boat has been for me in the experience, rather than the financials.
I agree. Also, I reread you posts and I gotta say you're bit of an inpiration yourself. Keep up the good work!
John & Wendy

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Guys, I have NEVER posted a PIC of my boat, here is one of her on the railway.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 am

YEAH John! She's a beauty...Obviously in great shape. Posting pictures is a great way to learn more, sharing the pictures has been very rewarding. I do get frustrated sometimes when I upload, sometimes it seems impossible but I resize or preview the pictures and posts, and it works most of the time. I've been wanting something to tow around, I'm not a kayak girl. Don't like the idea of beaching her.
I like the canoe on top. Lana wants a self inflating dingy.. HA HA.

I'm eager to learn more about your Cavalier...is that where the torpedo worms were? Have you remedy'd the worms?

The rail....comes right off the water? that's even better...

and to jahearne/ john and wendy...thanks :D

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for the comment of my posted pic.
Teredo worm photo was from a cross section of the keelson I cut out of a derelict Cavalier 30 footer headed to the burn pile, but a good example of the dreaded shipworm. No cure for those, just have to keep paint on the bottom.'
In the age of sail more ships down south were lost to the "worm" than to war. In fact here in Va. wooden ship would travel up the long rivers to their fall lines where the water was less salty during the peak worm months of late summer.
The price we pay for a 12 month boating season!
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

aliwildatwork

Worth versus Value

Post by aliwildatwork » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:10 am

I bought a 1968 26' Cavalier Futura from a man who had loved her for 32 yrs. It was my intention to find a small, trailered sailboat, that the dogs could walk around on, that when the restaurant was sucking the lifeblood away we could escape too. Wisely, Lana said sailboats are too much work. More time spent on trailering, towing, in and out, work on the water, maintenance outside... So following craig's list we found the boat we have now. And really all it took was the key being turned in the ignition and I was gone....the purr.

No matter how it had turned out everything would've been new for me.

So... I just read the thread about the 'falling value of cruisers' everyone definitely has the the same sentiment that the worth exceeds the value. I think anyone who has viewed this thread can agree that I am learning fast and hard about plywood chris-crafts. This time of year, especially, everyone contemplates...Taxes, value, $$, job, family, all of it, but like the story one poster shared about the fishfinder ...all of those thoughts and contemplations are the accumulation of what has been and not of what lies ahead. The biggest problem with our economy is that everyone is looking for the quick flip. The next money making, sure thing that will propel us into financial freedom. In general people don't ask, can I afford to learn? can I afford to expand? can I afford to grow? This forum has been such a wealth for me... It has been a learning experience not only in boats, boating, and Chris Crafts but also in people. It is the sharing of our experiences, that has given value to the boat. I couldn't trade that for anything. I keep trying to think of people to lure into this experience...buy that cruiser, sitting on the hard at our marina. I long for people on the lake to talk to and with about the little things like chrome plating, and tripping GFI outlets...I look forward to meeting you on the water or at the bar to talk about paint and the price of gas. That, is the value... the legacy we create, the people like me, that you all inspire, hook line and sinker. The more people we get interested...the higher the value of our beloved cruisers. Invite some newbies, let them drive, tell fishtales, pop open a cork, wear a goofy hat, play Jimmy Buffet (don't whip out the guitar), greet your grumpy neighbors with a smile, and SHARE the water, the sun and the wind.

The value will go up in all directions!

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:35 pm

:lol: Price-less :lol:

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Also quite Priceless;

Al

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 am

Ali, your participation on this forum is appreciated by so many of us.

Admittedly, you stick out like a sore thumb in a couple of ways. First, a female. We don't have as many as we'd like here, but I will tell you that we signed up more female members in 2010 than in the prior four years combined. A trend maybe? Second, as a newcomer to the antique boating culture...and taking on a fairly large undertaking as your first project.

I am guessing that some us could be somewhat jaded, as we see newcomers enter the hobby, attack a large project with hurricane-like force, only to poop out in a short time. A year or so later that cruiser is on the market again, now in pieces and missing some of the critical information the next custodian needs to put her back together.

I have really enjoyed seeing this project through your posts. The really beautiful thing? It's almost done. It's going to float. And it's going to pay you back handsomely in "mental cash." This is why boaters love boating. There is really nothing like it for your mental health. I can go out on the water pretty darn grumpy and return feeling like I can tackle most anything. How do you put a cost on that therapy?

More than anything though, it has been great to see this boat get some attention, and not be yet another cruiser who gets 3 months of attention only to be cast off to the next volunteer.

Great job.
Last edited by Bill Basler on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am

I think it's obvious that Ali got just enough of that "Priceless" feeling that Mike and I tried to express with our photos. She caught the fever in a very short period, before her wows began with the leaking bottom.

Now she is inspiring all of us with her determination to see this project through before summer so she can get back out on the water in her priceless Futura and make a few more priceless memories in an old vintage wood cruiser.

As soon as the ice is gone here, I'll be out there doing the same (after pulling her again for some more bottom work). That may need to wait until after the Sunnyland Show.

Al

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Bill, thanks for the post... you've given me great thought... for many, many reasons. I'd like to take a minute to reflect, and respond. But before that I must say, I too, have read so many posts by posters long gone, boats left to bone yards, burn piles, and auctions and pray I do not fall, under tow, to the same fate. The consequence too horrible to imagine. I say again, I bought a boat a person loved deeply for 32 years, and though most of my generation is deaf to that resonance, I woke nightly contemplating the responsibility of caretaking such an undertaking. I respect experience and do not dare fate to make promises I can not keep...nor venture to wager. It / us/ all is quite a task.

More to come...

Al, heard it's been snowing a storm almost every week your part of town...feet not inches! Are you pulling her out? How deep is the ice? Tonight we are getting so weather, maybe an inch or so in the ATL area but the morning will be crazy, ATL shuts down. It just started snowing...guess I won't be doing the windows on the boat tomorrow...maybe Friday.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Ali, it's cold tonight (single digits) but warm air is on its way starting Friday and is predicted to be in the 40's and 50 for quite a few days. With any luck the ice will be gone by the following weekend.

A bunch of us are heading to Cincinnati for the Antique Boat Center Open House on the 19th but we may be able to pull her on Sunday or Monday, fix the problem, paint the bottom and have her floating again before the end of February. The river is going to flood this spring (already predicted) so this may be a window of opportunity, if the ice melts in the harbor (by now it's probably 10 or 12" thick).

Early March is a fun time to be on the river, the eagles are still hanging around and the pelicans start showing up.

I have 2 slow leaks that need to be fixed. They are both in areas where planks and the starboard chine was replaced almost 18 months ago, one near the transom and one under the galley. It's all new wood and shouldn't be leaking. Possibly someone pre-drilled a hole and missed a screw??? We'll have to pull a plank or two to find out. What we find will determine who pays the bills for the travel lift, the trailer and the labor.

Ooops!! Steeling your thread, sorry about that. The snow that you're getting slid to our south and seems to be pestering you today. Sorry for that as well. Hopefully it marks the last arctic blast for you and us. It's (almost) time to go boating.

Al

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, this one's for Al...It's scene's like this that made us want a boat to begin with. We visit my folks in New Orleans every few weeks, and sometimes on the way home we stop in Biloxi...This was the trip that got me thinking a boat was a good idea.

This morning I went to the marina and painted the inside of the tracks where the windows go. Next step is laying the track (new) and sticking the windows in. I have the glass, and the new tracks but the paint needs to dry thoroughly. I Just think it'd be awful to have new glass and dirty old tracks, peeling paint and funky caulk. The trim we bought is different, from the original. I am hoping it will work. It's not as deep, I hope we did it right???? Should I seat the tracks in caulk? The boat is ready to go in except that I have said the windows need to go in first.. so maybe next week we will give it a go. I know they want their bay back.

Another point the marina yard has brought up is that the "surveyor" who looked at the boat should have done more than he did...their thinking is that when you are licensed there is liability. They suggested holding him accountable for the repairs or at least the fee for surveying because he did nothing but hang out and tell us that if Bill says it's good it's good enough for me...

she's so close!

Weather today is perfect, we'd definitely be there if she was in the water. I saw our neighbors surveying the dock since the marina moved it. These guys have a 20 ft party pontoon and believe they make the best out of it. They asked if we were still going to be neighbors...I said yes but a lot of slips have opened up and we've thought about moving. The new dock is for bigger boats and it blocks what used to be a near perfect view of the cove, thankfully it's not finished so there aren't any boats hindering the sunsets. Oh so close....to water time.
Our slip is pretty even when the boat is not there...I miss it.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Ali, thanks for the pelican photo. The Brown Pelicans are fun to watch. They don't venture this far north. We see the American White Pelicans here, usually in November and March on their way between northern and southern marshlands.

Use bedding compound to set the window tracks in. Woolsey Dolfinite is a good product for this. It stays soft but will not ooze once the track is fastened in place.

You are getting very close, once she has her windows she will fill that empty slip in style. Your neighbors will be envious. Hope there are no surprises as the tracks and new windows go in.

Al

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 am

The task of repairing the boat has been a bigger project than anyone expected. I would imagine that "newbies" like myself often loose interest when the time comes to get it done, paid for or otherwise. The classic lines and the jawdropping affect the Cavalier has when boating around the lake is certainly one reason to stay focused but the cost is daunting. Anything with "marine" in the title or grade is twice if not three times the price. Hence the home depot improvements on so many of these old boats. Bill maintained the boat on his own for 32 years, painting, wiring, engine repairs and the like were done with little thought to resale or codes. The boat was always his refuge, away from stress and drama. Now that we've gotten her out, inspected her, rewired her, painted her, ac/heated her, new glass, new steering, new wood, etc we hope she'll be our refuge away from stress and drama. In the future I will be more able to do some work myself. I now have an intimate knowledge I never thought I could learn. I am shocked and amazed at how simple some of the work is but equally amazed at the craftmanship in these old beauties. I want more. I've been bitten. And I might mention I'm still not done with this one...

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:15 am

I' ve been working on the windows over the last while. I cleaned and painted the channels where the tracks lay. They're in really good shape. The was only a little dry rot in a plug that covers a carriage bolt.

The new tracks I purchased are smaller than the ones previously there. The depth is different. The upper track is the real challenge because windows slide up and over to come out. So I will have to re-use the upper tracks. The only hiccup so far has been that the glass was too thick to slide in the tracks. I had originally ordered tempered glass, the company's oven wasn't working so they gave me laminate instead. The laminate is just that much thicker to make sliding a real hassle. They are re-doing the glass. Meanwhile I left the laminate in the boat. in case they move her while I'm not around. ( Mardi Gras Trip) the caulk/bedding bead stuff does not like to come off of my skin...note to self... wear gloves next time...

Should be interesting, the tempered glass has a slight reflection to it, so there is an inside and an outside to it. I wouldn't trust myself to cut the patterns properly but I guess this is what they do. She should be back in the water this week... It's so exciting!!!!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

Ali, that caulk will wear off in a week or two, it will fit right in at Mardi Gras, right?

I wasn't aware that tempered glass had a reflective side like that. Reflective side out? That should help with the sun in the summer.

Enjoy "The Big Easy", sounds like fun.

Al

evansjw44

Windows

Post by evansjw44 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 pm

I have replaced some of the glass on my '67 Sea Skiff Corinthian and all of the tracks, some more than once. It was built with temered glass but when I replace pieces I replace them with laminated glass, mostly for safety. I haven't noticed any difference in thickness. Do you have metal with felt tracks or plastic? Mine are plastic. Last spring I had the cabin front windshields out to do some clean up and fix some leaks and one of the shattered as I tried to put it back in. What a mess. Mounds of rock salt granual iszed galss shards. Maybe the tracks you have are undersized.
Jim Evans

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Jim, I'm curious because I put the old glass int the new tracks and it slid fine, new glass and new tracks didn't work...tracks are 1/4 in Just thought the xx mil between was the culprit. (glass being fairly regular in size) Wish I had metal with felt but plastic was original so I went with it.

When you shattered your window did you measure a new glass or pattern her sister? ( new phrase? I just made it up but it makes sense...) I'd have done well to make new patterns with new tracks as they are not the same....

Just for fun I looked up the craigslist listing in NOLA for wooden boats...real beauty for a mere $49,000....but glad to know there's a few woody's here too.

Blew a brand new tire driving 80 today, on the way down....thought I'd been shot at...rough day

aliwildatwork

I'm back...

Post by aliwildatwork » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 am

Happy Hello to all, It's been awhile.

Got a message from the yard that the boat was in the water and all was well while in New Orleans. So when we got back we drove up to see for our selves. It's been so long I could hardly wait...
Most everything looked good but there is a freeze plug that is leaking so there was water in the bilge. I can't say for sure if that is the sole source but they fellas say it's been dry the whole time except for when they started it and rode it back to our slip, the leak is obvious. audible and visual. Thankfully its on the the side and not one of the ones where the transmission is. We think we can get it without pulling the boat or the motor.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 am

The Engine is a 5.7 chevy 350. Danny said he thought it was from the late 70's to mid eighties from the way the bolts were shaped. Wes thought it may even be an automotive block because the the freeze plugs look like they are aluminum. I'm going to try changing the rusted one with a friend of mine who works on my 1956 Plymouth.

They guys at the yard recomended changing the manual choke over to electric. From what I read it doesn't seem to benefit me much? Anyone have any ideas? Seems like I would have to draw more power to the electric choke and the boat is already a mess of wires. I keep finding things like lamp wires connecting from the bus terminal to the ..... Scary. I'll be spending a lot of time following wires.

Anyway, the boat is still a mess because we tore everything out to make repairs, now it's time to put it back together and get out on the water. the problem is prioritizing. Paint first? Brightwork? Hatch? Flooring? Windows? Upholstery? It's a mess. The good thing is the deck on the boat is in tact and our chairs are back on it. We spent several hours up there yesterday and I can already feel my blood pressure going back down.