Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Soaking and Leaking

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

ice nine

Soaking and Leaking

Post by ice nine » Sat May 16, 2009 11:05 am

I have a 17ft. barrelback, and it needs a new bottom. I am planning a new bottom next winter. However, in the meantime, I am trying to squeak a couple more summers out of the bottom. My bottom leaks when fully soaked. I have it timed down to about 30 seconds of bilge pump running every 30-45 minutes.

Does anyone think that is excessive? I carefully watch the boat when it is in the water, and am never too far away. It is usually not in the water more than 3-4 days at a time, and I monitor the boat throughout the night to make sure everything is ok.

Am I crazy, or is this "normal" for a tired bottom?

steve bunda

bottoms

Post by steve bunda » Sat May 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Mr Ice Nine, I run an orginal bottom on my 1936 19 footer, and service many unrestored boats. The key is to keep the boat soaked up and tight at all times.This is accomplished by a number of options,1. the best is a wet boat house with the boat suspended over the water.2 Dry boat house with no windows and lots of humidity,3. keep boat on a shorestation with proper canopy,and covers. All methods must allow fresh air within the boat to elimate mold. You are right a boat should be watched as often as possible.Most times my hatches are open in the dry boat house and the seat bottoms flipped up to allow air flow. Keeping a old bottom alive is a lot of work , but it can be done under the correct usage and care. Is it worth it, that is the million dollar question.Safety and piece of mind are the trade off, steve

ice nine

Post by ice nine » Sun May 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks Steve,

I would love to have access to a boat house. I don't. I live in Chicago, and the boat is used in Michigan on the weekends, so it is soaked in the spring very well, then it is used on the weekends. So, the problem does lie in the fact that it is in and out. Tough conditions. I am planning a new bottom so I do not have to worry so much about it, but in the meantime, I was just trying to get a picture on what is normal. Is this excessive leaking? Is this more or less than many people observe? What I don't want to happen is I find out after the fact that yes, it is excessive and I should not have even had it in the water. thoughts? Thanks!

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Ice, I run a 56 Holiday with a re-fastned origional bottom. This one soakes up tight in about three hours, and after an hour or two, it's taken on two quarts +/- not even enough to trip one of two bilge pumps. On the hoist, I pull the plug, and if I do not use the boat for a couple of days, I'll lower it into the water for a drink. D
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself